Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installation Bugs? relating to Grub2 MBR, keyboard layout, and date-time - Tumbleweed

Default Re: Installation Bugs? relating to Grub2 MBR, keyboard layout, and date-time - Tumbleweed

Not really it just sets root and the first user to use the same password it does not give the user any root powers. This is not Windows where lines are blurred. And root is just another user but with god powers. So root is not system

Default Re: Installation Bugs? relating to Grub2 MBR, keyboard layout, and date-time - Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by aungOWUmJv3Hpfig View Post
    OK but during the installation there is a screen to specify a user, and an option to specify if this user is an admin user.
    My suggestion is that you read that more carefull next time you install. I doubt the words "admin user" are used. That is not a Unix/Linux term at all.
    Henk van Velden

What I would have expected is that during the installation I would specify the timezone, which is London UK Europe, and then specify to sync with NTP and then when I eventually boot the installed system and type date, it would display the current local time for my timezone, which is currently, because it is summer and we have daylight saving time, UTC+1.
    Yes, I have seen this in the past. My guess is that when you change timezone current time is not adjusted according to new timezone, so it stores wrong time as result. I never had time - pun unintended - nor real incentive to reproduce it on purpose, it was easier to just do as you did - correct time after installation. NTP may not work always, it may refuse to correct to large time offset.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    My suggestion is that you read that more carefull next time you install. I doubt the words "admin user" are used. That is not a Unix/Linux term at all.
    Admin user is an english term for someone who administrates, i.e. a system administrator.

You will see from this screen shot that the phrase used is "use this password for system administrator". Just because Microsoft used the same phrase it doesn't mean they own it and it cannot be used in its original sense.

https://en.opensuse.org/FileS_11.3_live_install_7.png

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Not really it just sets root and the first user to use the same password it does not give the user any root powers. This is not Windows where lines are blurred. And root is just another user but with god powers. So root is not system
    OK I misunderstood what it was doing there maybe. I thought that if I checked that box then the username would be the admin user. I had this experience on Ubuntu where the root user was not called root and I didn't like it at all.

Anyway, I think all this is rather an over-complication of a simple problem of the time being wrong for the only non-root user of the system whose account was created during installation. Perhaps it just doesn't matter enough to report it as a bug.

Ubuntu is different. By default it does not use root but uses sudo to raise the user to root status. sudo works differently on openSUSE. Though you can still use it it has different default settings and you enter the root password not a user's. Though a user's password and roots can be the same. Root can be considered to be the administrator.

I had this experience on Ubuntu where the root user was not called root and I didn't like it at all.
    On Ubinto root user is still called root. What Ubuntu does by default is blocking direct login as root and forcing you to use su or sudo when you need to obtain superuser privileges.

Admin user is an english term for someone who administrates, i.e. a system administrator.

You will see from this screen shot that the phrase used is "use this password for system administrator". Just because Microsoft used the same phrase it doesn't mean they own it and it cannot be used in its original sense.

https://en.opensuse.org/FileS_11.3_live_install_7.png
    When you think that "system administrator" is the same as "admin user", you will have a lot of surprises when using computers where even "A" is different from "a".
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12