Thread: Cyrillic letters in file names are not supported in console, okular, libre office, etc.

Default Cyrillic letters in file names are not supported in console, okular, libre office, etc.

I migrated to 42.1 recently and now I have a lot of issues with cyrillic letters in file path. Dolphin shows these files correcly, but in console all cyrillic letters in filenames are replaced with question marks ("?"). If I try to open these files I recieve the message that the file does not exist and all the cyrillic letters in path in this message are replaced with "?" or other meaningless stuff:
    Could not open D/Мои документы/Разное/Резюме/Рябов_Юрий.pdf
    When I rename files to use latin symbols only everything works.
    Tryed to google this issue but found nothing.
    Please help

Default Re: Cyrillic letters in file names are not supported in console, okular, libre office, etc.

Try changing the font in each of the programs where you have problems. For example in konsole Settings>Appearance>Select font. If you have no other ideas yourself, try DejaVu Sans Mono.

Default Re: Cyrillic letters in file names are not supported in console, okular, libre office, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Try changing the font in each of the programs where you have problems. For example in konsole Settings>Appearance>Select font. If you have no other ideas yourself, try DejaVu Sans Mono.
    Nope, that doesn't help, as well changing the encoding...

I was able to copy and paste Cyrillic characters into konsole after I had changed the default font to DejaVu; when I added a Russian layout in System Settings>Input Devices>Keyboard>Layout I was also able to enter Лшадсщ (no idea what these characters are!) from the keyboard.

I guess the OPPs questions is now, can you:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~/test> touch Лшадсщ
    henk@boven:~/test> ls -l Лшадсщ
    -rw-r--r-- 1 henk wij 0 20 jun 09:45 Лшадсщ
    henk@boven:~/test> vi Лшадсщ
    henk@boven:~/test>
    Which I can on 13.1 without doing anything particular (I "stole" the file name using copy/paste from the post above).
    And using Dolphin it shows correctly in the list.

The OP has complaints aboput Leap 42.1 whhich I do not have available. Thus I am afraid I can not help anymore except showing how it works in 13.1
    Henk van Velden

openSUSE 13.2; Konsole Version 2.14.2 under KDE 4.14.9; Konsole Terminal Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.
    Code:
     > touch Лшадсщ
     > l Лшадсщ
    -rw-r--r-- 1 dcu users 0 20. Jun 10:02 Лшадсщ
     > vi Лшадсщ
     > l Лшадсщ
    -rw-r--r-- 1 xxx users 24 20. Jun 10:03 Лшадсщ
     > file Лшадсщ
    Лшадсщ: ASCII text
     > cat Лшадсщ
    dfhkgdjkhgk
    fdjgklhgdk

> rm Лшадсщ
     >
    Unfortunately, from the tty2 Console the default font doesn't display the Cyrillic characters (???? displayed . . . ).
    The following commands available to show/set the console (EGA/VGA) font: showconsolefont; setfont.
    The 'setfont' man page mentions the /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/ directory which seems to contain some Cyrillic fonts.
    This URL may also help: <http://lib.ru/CYRILLIC/Cyrillic-HOWT...ussian-13.html>

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    openSUSE 13.2; Konsole Version 2.14.2 under KDE 4.14.9; Konsole Terminal Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.
    Code:
     > touch Лшадсщ
     > l Лшадсщ
    -rw-r--r-- 1 dcu users 0 20. Jun 10:02 Лшадсщ
     > vi Лшадсщ
     > l Лшадсщ
    -rw-r--r-- 1 xxx users 24 20. Jun 10:03 Лшадсщ
     > file Лшадсщ
    Лшадсщ: ASCII text
     > cat Лшадсщ
    dfhkgdjkhgk
    fdjgklhgdk

> rm Лшадсщ
     >
    Unfortunately, from the tty2 Console the default font doesn't display the Cyrillic characters (???? displayed . . . ).
    The following commands available to show/set the console (EGA/VGA) font: showconsolefont; setfont.
    The 'setfont' man page mentions the /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/ directory which seems to contain some Cyrillic fonts.
    This URL may also help: <http://lib.ru/CYRILLIC/Cyrillic-HOWT...ussian-13.html>
    Ah, I now understand better I think.

You mean from the virtual console. I worked with a terminal emulator within KDE.

When I do this from virtual console (I tried #1 and #2), I get replacement characters (a bit small, but like white squares).
    Henk van Velden

Now on a Leap 42.1 system.
    As with the 13.2 system '/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/' contains fonts which are presumably Cyrillic fonts.

Either with the YaST "/etc/sysconfig Editor" or simply edit '/etc/sysconfig/console' and set-up the Hardware/Console variable "CONSOLE_FONT" to a suitable value.
    For example on this system it's "lat9w-16.psfu" which is the 'lat9w-16.psfu.gz' file in '/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/'.
    But, it'll depend on who is maintaining the system. It may be preferable to handle the Virtual Terminal Cyrillic fonts issue on a per-user basis by means of the user's shell login: 'setfont' if-and-only-if a Virtual Terminal.