Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Newly-installed Leap 42.1 OS not available in bootloader

Default Re: Newly-installed Leap 42.1 OS not available in bootloader

arvidjaar -

That's correct - this has been the issue from the outset - no way of accessing 42.1 on bootup (of the PC, after post). Notwithstanding the entries in grub.cfg, as I noted in post #6, grub is not presenting 42.1 in the bootloader screen; only 13.1, 13.2, and Windows. I posted the latest version of the 13.2 grub.cfg file at http://susepaste.org/730370.

I found a number of reports of the non-display issue reported in SuSE forums and elsewhere on the web (e.g., Ubuntu), which identify a variety of possible causes. Nothing popped out as a solution.

To be clear, and in response to Peter_Abc, the bootloader is now under the control 13.2 not 13.1. Nevertheless, the 13.1 grub.cfg also has 42.1 entries, but that file is not used as 13.1 no longer provides the bootloader screen.

I am leaning towards getting another drive and placing 42.1 there. It will be cleaner and simplify the system. While I could spend weeks or perhaps even months trying to get this arrangement to work, a separate drive may ultimately provide a more stable and robust configuration. And in considerably less time.

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    That's correct - this has been the issue from the outset - no way of accessing 42.1 on bootup
    grub.cfg from 13.2 that was shown so far contained reference to 42.1; so configuring BIOS to boot from sde should help as sde loads 13.2 bootloader. Or reinstalling 13.2 bootloader on sda. Or reinstalling 42.1 bootloader on sda. Or adding manually menu entry to chainload 42.1 bootloader.

So "no way" is at the very least exaggeration.

I am leaning towards getting another drive and placing 42.1 there.

Not sure how is it going to help, but whatever works for you.

arvidjaar -

By "no way" I meant that the bootloader screen as it is now presented doesn't provide access 42.1. I have already tried the other options you mention, for which I thank you, but they have not rectified the problem. Something else is going on here, perhaps because of something I've configured or a conflict. As mentioned, others have experienced situations where a menu entry doesn't appear, again for a variety of reasons.

I believe a new drive with 42.1 running from the first sectors will work because that's exactly the configuration I have on another machine, with 42.1 providing the bootloader for the entire system on its own drive (which the BIOS points to in the first instance). Indeed, when I loaded 42.1 and configured the bootloader in that fashion, I expected to lose access to the other operating systems. Much to my pleasure and amazement, grub on the Leap 42.1 machine captured everything on the system.

There are too many uncertainties here and I want to build a system (to be my main workstation) that I can rely upon.

Thanks again for your input.

You can do that with the current drive just make it the boot drive and install grub to the MBR. It is not the drive or the geometry. Though it would be easier if all were using EFI booting rather then legacy.

Default Re: Newly-installed Leap 42.1 OS not available in bootloader - SUCCESS!

gogalthorp, arvidjaar, knurpht, and Peter_Abc -

To quote from the Grateful Dead, with their and your permission, "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been." Please excuse my obtuseness and if my initial post didn't clearly identify the issue.

It works! Exactly as I configured the system from the start, with the very simple adjustment suggested by Gogalthorp post #34 and arvidjaar in posts #26 and #32 (apologies for overlooking these earlier two). By merely changing the boot priority disk in bios from /sda to /sde, the whole thing came up in a new and newly-themed grub bootloader launch screen, with 13.2 (as default and changeable of course in the YaST bootloader), Windows, 13.1, and lastly 42.1, just as set out in grub.cfg. No changes were needed in the YaST bootloader panel, grub.cfg, or anywhere else.

I can only surmise that going through an mbr on /sda somehow prevented 42.1 from displaying. It was quite confounding. No matter, it's working now.

And for that I thank everyone - for their time, patience, and the education. arvidjaar's bootinfoscript is very nice utility - thanks.

The openSuSE forums are a wonderful community - one that has repeatedly come to my assistance over the years (since about 2005). Thank you again for participating and coming forth.

Lastly, I have placed an excellent rating on this the thread on account of your collective efforts and persistence.

[QUOTE=w2tq;2782222]Peter_Abc -

This may not be it, but I have had similar problems with 13.1 when I installed Leap with BtrFS. Reinstalling it with Ext4 worked.

So now I never use BtrFS for an OS.

John

This system started with ext4 for most partition from the initial install date on a brand new drive (4T with GPT)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234