Thread: gnome keyring socket is not owned with the same credentials as the user login

Default gnome keyring socket is not owned with the same credentials as the user login

I'm a new user with Leap 42.1 and Gnome desktop. I question why Passwords and Keys has a Certificate, Gnome2 Key Storage, that is locked. Also in /var/log/warn I have an message from gnomesu-pam-bac stating that gkr-pam: couldn't unlock the login keyring. Also have the message from gnomesu-pam-bac: The gnome keyring socket is not owned with the same credentials as the user login: /run/user/1000/keyring/control.

Do I need to fix this and what does it all mean?

I'm finding the password stuff extremely confusing and the documentation doesn't help me understand it. I would like to though as then I might be able to implement more security.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: gnome keyring socket is not owned with the same credentials as the user login

It is supposed to just work.

However, if you have your system setup for autologin, then Gnome keyring is probably not automatically opened. The "magic" for opening it depends on the password that you use to login to the desktop. It might also depend on the login manager. Both "gdm" and "lightdm" should open the gnome keyring. I'm not at all sure that "sddm" will open it.

(Note: I normally use KDE. But when I try Gnome, the keyring is automatically opened with login. I do not use auto-login).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha