Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel update breaks NVIDIA driver

Default Kernel update breaks NVIDIA driver

Hi, I've recently updated to the 4.1.21-14.2-x86_64 kernel and it has broken my nvidia driver. The Xorg.0.log contains the error:
    Code:
    NVIDIA: Failed to initialise the NVIDIA kernel module
    I'm now using the kernel:

Linux desktop 4.1.20-11-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 18 14:42:07 UTC 2016 (0a392b2) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

by selecting the advanced options from the grub menu.

The version of the nvidia driver is:

367.18_K4.1.12_1-25.1-x86_64

Has anyone else had this issue? I can't find any error messages in other logs to help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mike Railton

Default Re: Kernel update breaks NVIDIA driver

Uninstall the kernel module and install it again:
    Code:
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default
    sudo zypper in nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default
    I am not aware of any problems with the latest Leap 42.1 kernel, but there seems to be a problem with updates:
    http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=983927

PS: Apparently there is a bug in the current nvidia packages:
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=983934

Try to add this line to /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf:
    Code:
    install nvidia-drm /sbin/modprobe nvidia; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install nvidia-drm
    and run "sudo mkinitrd".

Experiencing a similar issue. The last round of updates, including several Nvidia driver components, broke the system and it will no longer boot with the latest kernel, 4.1.21. It gives me only the "something went wrong!" screen. I've reverted to 4.1.20 - which still works - until I can get the problem sorted out.

No problem here with opensuse 42.1, GNOME 3.16, kernel 4.1.21-14.2-x86_64 and nvidia driver 367.18_k4.1.12_1-25.1

Quote Originally Posted by Operius View Post
    No problem here with opensuse 42.1, GNOME 3.16, kernel 4.1.21-14.2-x86_64 and nvidia driver 367.18_k4.1.12_1-25.1
    Same setup here, except it's Nvidia driver 340.96_k4.1.12-_1-45.1. This isn't the first time an Nvidia update has made my Suse system unbootable. In my experience, adding the Nvidia repository to the list greatly increases the chance of getting a piece of software that hasn't been sufficiently debugged. It used to be their newest barracuda GPU-computing driver that would always screw things up. Not sure which it is this time. Kernel module?

quoting myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
    Same setup here, except it's Nvidia driver 340.96_k4.1.12-_1-45.1...
    This resulted in one of those, "well, duh!" moments where you realize the answer is staring you in the face. I reverted the driverset back to 367.18 and the system boots with kernel 4.1.21 again. Sometimes, the most obvious solution is the best solution.

The packages in the nvidia repo have meanwhile been downgraded to the previous version, so reinstalling the driver should work as well now.

Either with YaST ("Upgrade Unconditionally"), or:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default x11-video-nvidiaG04 nvidia-glG04 nvidia-computeG04
    (for G02 and G03 change that accordingly, G03 needs nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-default as well though, and G02 doesn't have nvidia-glG02, so leave that out...)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The packages in the nvidia repo have meanwhile been downgraded to the previous version
    But why exactly?
    What is wrong with this update?

MichaelRailton has a problem with it, but not me with the same drive and kernel version.
    Does Michael have a package installed or not installed that could cause the driver to fail to build?
    So are the dependencies not set correctly for the kernel or driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Operius View Post
    But why exactly?
    What is wrong with this update?
    I cannot tell you more than what is written in the bug report. (I don't even use the nvidia driver myself...)

But it is no dependency problem. It seems to be related to the creation of the initrd.
    And the proposed "fix" turned out to not work either.

And btw, there are more people who have/had problems, not only MichaelRailton...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 10-Jun-2016 at 02:41.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast