no grub after install w/ Win 10

new HP laptop, Win 10, uefi, gpt, 4 Gb ram. Ran fine w/ Win10 alone. Installed Leap, install seemed to complete successfully, but upon subsequent reboots, no grub, just boot directly into Win 10.
The install showed the EFI partition mounted during boot, and secure boot turned on.
The install dvd I used was successful installing Leap on an older Win 7 laptop - the media check shows ok.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon

There may be two different things going on here:

1. HP computers tend to prefer Windows. There’s probably a BIOS setting to change that;
  2. The 42.1 install DVD has broken support for secure-boot. You should turn off secure-boot in your BIOS until you have everything working, and until you have brought your system up-to-date. The secure-boot problem is fixed, but the install media was not reissued. So you have to wait until you have fully updated the system before you can expect it to work.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Per the release notes, I upgraded the bios from F.31 to F.42
Secure boot was already off in order to boot from the non secure-boot Leap DVD.
I wasn’t able to find anything in the bios relating directly to windows. I did turn on “legacy support” which loads the compatibility support module for legacy OSs such as Win7, XP, and DOS.

Then just for kicks, I did a complete reinstall of Leap. As before, there were no errors during the install, but one anomaly was that at the first (automatic) reboot after installation, my recollection is that when the boot from the DVD completes, the default menu item selected is “boot from local hard disk”, and the newly installed operating system is booted. In this case, the default menu selection was “installation” and the complete installation began anew. Also missing from that menu was “repair installation”. The only items on the menu were: “installation”, “upgrade”, “rescue”, and “check media” (kind of like the install DVD couldn’t recognize there was a Leap installation already existing).

Still no grub upon booting …

I’m baffled -

Thanks again for your help

jon

You are better off using UEFI booting. And for that you do not need legacy support.

Is there a BIOS setting for “customized booting” (or similar wording). I gather that the more recent HPs have that option, and turning it on will usually make it easier to boot into opensuse.

Most recent systems have a boot menu key. It is usually F12. But my understanding is that HP uses F9 instead. Try hitting that during bootup to see if you get a BIOS boot menu that allows you to select which system to boot.

Your last suggestion = Bingo !!

Upon pwr up, hit ESC get: ‘startup menu’
choose F9 ‘Boot Device Options’
get: ‘OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager’
‘OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - opensuse-secureboot’
‘Boot from EFI file’
choose option 2, get the normal grub menu with:
‘OpenSUSE Leap 42.1’
‘Advanced options for OS Leap 42.1’
‘Windows Boot Manager /dev/sda2’ (this is the EFI partition)
choose option 1, get the normal Leap boot, everything good from there on

So now, how do we convince the boot process to go the grub screen as the default?

Hitting ESC on startup is an iffy thing, works one out of three times or so.

Thanks again …

Jon

You can remove quiet from the kernel setup string in grub. One time just press e then find line starting linux or linuxefi and remove quiet

You can mode the string in yast - boot loader to make it verbose all the time