Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: XFCE can't use smb:// on Thunar

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    B'ham, UK
    Posts
    46

    Default XFCE can't use smb:// on Thunar

    Hi

    I can't use the smb:// URI on thunar (1.6.10), is it disabled or something like this?
    I have access too to a arch linux box running XCFE and I can use it there, what I noticed is that
    on arch, the gvfs-smb is installed, but I can't find this package on TW not sure if its the reason.

    thx in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: XFCE can't use smb:// on Thunar

    Quote Originally Posted by xotto View Post
    Hi

    I can't use the smb:// URI on thunar (1.6.10), is it disabled or something like this?
    I have access too to a arch linux box running XCFE and I can use it there, what I noticed is that
    on arch, the gvfs-smb is installed, but I can't find this package on TW not sure if its the reason.

    thx in advance for any help.
    Hi
    Probably the gvfs-backend-samba package is not installed...?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    B'ham, UK
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: XFCE can't use smb:// on Thunar

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Probably the gvfs-backend-samba package is not installed...?
    many thanks for this! that solved the smb URI issue!

    Unfortunately I did not manage to access the samba share, as I getting an error, I did a search and
    I found that bug is still alive on xfce/thunar.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: XFCE can't use smb:// on Thunar

    Quote Originally Posted by xotto View Post
    many thanks for this! that solved the smb URI issue!

    Unfortunately I did not manage to access the samba share, as I getting an error, I did a search and
    I found that bug is still alive on xfce/thunar.
    Hi
    Depending on the security, you may need to configure /etc/samba/smb.conf and in the globals section add;
    Code:
        client use spnego = no
    The best way to see what's happening is to use smbclient, eg;
    Code:
    smbclient -d 2 //<samba_server/<samba_share> -U <username>
    You can increase the debug (-d) number for more details.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    B'ham, UK
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: XFCE can't use smb:// on Thunar

    Many thanks Malcolm for your help.

    I finally managed to access the share, a bit weird solution, sadly the extra param into the smb.conf did not help, so I installed nemo, to see if I can access the share via nemo (as the bug is marked fixed) and now I can access that share via thunar too!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •