Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

  1. #1

    Default gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

    gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources. It doesn't start-out like this; but it just gradually increases resource consumption until it reaches this state.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,371
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

    You'll have to be more descriptive.

    If the console is open without any activity, it shouldn't consume more resources.
    It may depend on what kind of command you're running, is it long running? What does it do?

    I don't use Gnome (and obviously gnome-shell) but on general principles, a memory leak (aka not returning resources when the task is finished) can only happen after something is run, and then you need to determine if it's really gnome-shell or the function that was run in gnome-shell which could be the issue. From this, it should be pretty obvious to determine where the problem might be in general, you should be using something like top to monitor and inspect and testing whether the memory problem changes by executing a process that can run in the background, then close that console, perhaps opening again later and possibly inspecting the running process (by Pid?).

    HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

    Quote Originally Posted by heidiheidi View Post
    gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources. It doesn't start-out like this; but it just gradually increases resource consumption until it reaches this state.
    Try ALT F2 and then type "r" and see if it helps, it will restart GNOME shell.

    My impression is that GNOME shell is more heavy on the resources than KDE, I ran it on different machines with same results, eventhough it was mainly Intel hardware.

    Bo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,088
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

    Quote Originally Posted by bosim View Post
    Try ALT F2 and then type "r" and see if it helps, it will restart GNOME shell.

    My impression is that GNOME shell is more heavy on the resources than KDE, I ran it on different machines with same results, eventhough it was mainly Intel hardware.

    Bo
    Not seen that with my Intel MacBook (3,1), this Desktop (HP AMD CPU, Nvidia GPU), HP ProBook 455 G1 (AMD APU) and have it on a Toshiba C655 which is Intel CPU/GPU currently (Other Probooks and HP models I've run it on as well.). When tracker does do it's initial run it can be intensive, but I've never noticed it.

    @OP, just turn it off via system settings -> search and indexing.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: gnome-shell consuming 50% of resources

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Not seen that with my Intel MacBook (3,1), this Desktop (HP AMD CPU, Nvidia GPU), HP ProBook 455 G1 (AMD APU) and have it on a Toshiba C655 which is Intel CPU/GPU currently (Other Probooks and HP models I've run it on as well.). When tracker does do it's initial run it can be intensive, but I've never noticed it.
    Confirming that. On my slower test laptop (dual core @ 1.8 GHz) gnome-shell reaches 25-30% only briefly when repeatedly switching workspace or the like, staying normally below 1%.
    If it stays at 50% (that is, one core at 100% with a dual core, if I recall correctly from another post of the OP) I guess something went wrong with the install or some HW was not properly configured.
    Or, as tsu2 suggests, some application (or maybe a bad or outdated shell-extension?) is misbehaving or has a memory leak eventually crippling gnome-shell.

    OTOH, Firefox, Tracker, Flash-plugin, video players or Xorg can easily reach and stay at 50% on a slow dual-core, but in my experience that is pretty independent of the Desktop Environment in use...
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •