Thread: java error

Default java error

Hi All,

I was trying to run an income tax payment utility written in java. It has a .jre file which is to be run from command line in order to generate the income tax return form, which is required to be uploaded in the shape of an html file which this utility generates.

I have downloaded jre 8 update 51 from Oracle website and have installed with YAST. There were some issues but it installed all the same 'successfully' as the message said.

On giving the command: 'java -jar ITR-2A_AY201617_PR1.jar', I get the following error:
    Code:
    java -jar ITR-2A_AY201617_PR1.jar
    Error: JavaFX runtime components are missing, and are required to run this application
    Where should i download 'jre 8 update 51' which would install clean on Tumbleweed?

Shall be grateful for the help.

Regards,

RSP2

Blog Entries

Default Re: java error

I'm going to guess that you installed only the JRE which is all that is required to run most java applications, but you didn't install the SDK which contains additional components to create/compile/build things.

You can either install the Java SE SDK from Oracle or try the "openjdk-devel" package in your openSUSE repos.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi TSU,
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I have checked on Yast: 'java-1_8_0-openjdk-devel' & 'java-1_9_0-openjdk-devel' are installed. Then why the error? I am clueless about java myself! Is the 'jre-update51' still required?

Regards,

RSP2

Default AW: java error

Read the error message carefully:

Code:
    JavaFX runtime components are missing,
    This application needs a javafx (sometimes called jfx) runtime, which is obviously missing.

However, I have no idea if there are packages for that in OBS or if you need JRE/JDK from oracle.

Blog Entries

Last I checked which was a little under 6 mths ago, javafx was better implemented through Oracle Java, IIRC was still a separate project from the mainline openjdk-devel.

Also, depending on how you installed your Oracle JRE, you might have already stomped all over your existing openjdk. Last I checked, Oracle Java assumes it's the only Java when it's installed so replaces (does not install side by side) with any other Java, You have to install using a special procedure to avoid conflicts. I haven't reviewed any Oracle Java 8 install procedures recently, so can't recommend at the moment (I can only recommend the Java SE 7 JDK install scripts I created if you wish).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!