Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    Hello.
    By editing the application launcher, I can create a dolphin "favorite" launcher to open locally in a specific folder by specifying
    Code:
    "dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select /folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/"
    in the command specification.

    I use a network folder, and I would like to create another dolphin "favorite" launcher to open this network folder.
    I have tried :
    Code:
    "dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/"
    in the command specification.
    But it does not work.
    I have tried using the connection name defined in dolphin but it does not work.

    Any help is welcome.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,296
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    I'm not clear what you are trying to accomplish.

    Not sure how you're defining "Favorites," there are directories(folders) and locations and devices within Dolphin.

    If I want to create a folder pointing to a remote resource, I simply rt-click within an existing directory or location and select "Create New (Link to Location)"

    If I want to add an additional item to item in Dolphin's left navigational pane, I click "Add Entry" and point to an existing folder which can be a network folder.

    AFAIK these things can be done from within Dolphin and not require a command line (which might have mistakes).
    If you set these up in Dolphin and then wonder what the underlying code to accomplish might be, that can be easily viewed after the fact.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I'm not clear what you are trying to accomplish.

    TSU
    this does not work for network folder

    http://paste.opensuse.org/84563686


    This work locally

    http://paste.opensuse.org/86079054
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,157

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    You did not make it acceptable to us that the expression in your screenshot
    Code:
    sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2//
    is a) correct syntax and b) working at all at your system. Remind that the expression in your screenshot is different from the one in your first post above. Also in your first post you have "..." in your expression, and these are not in your screenshot.

    Riddles
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,296
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    I see now you are actually trying to create a KDE Menu "Favorite" using a connection to a network location defined by Dolphin.

    Not as I originally thought, that you are trying to create a dolphin object.

    So, at this point I'm not entirely clear whether the URI you're using for that network location is copied <exactly> from an existing <working> Dolphin connection or not. In fact, if you execute this connection URI in a console, what is the result?
    Code:
    dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I see now you are actually trying to create a KDE Menu "Favorite" using a connection to a network location defined by Dolphin.

    Not as I originally thought, that you are trying to create a dolphin object.

    So, at this point I'm not entirely clear whether the URI you're using for that network location is copied <exactly> from an existing <working> Dolphin connection or not. In fact, if you execute this connection URI in a console, what is the result?
    Code:
    dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/
    TSU
    this part is copied exactly from kickoff
    Code:
    dolphin %i -caption %c %u
    This part is copied from the help to open dolphin from specified directory. ( It works locally )
    Code:
    --select
    as in my sample :
    Code:
    "dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select /folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/"
    This part is exactly copied from what I have configured and is not working.
    The user,computer,folder exists.
    Code:
    dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/
    In a console, the good syntax (from sftp point of view) is
    Code:
    sftp   user@192.168.123.123:12345:/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/
    So I can imagine that the syntax use by dolphin ( in the location bar "sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3" ) is just suitable for the underlying code.
    In addition , you can copy the dolphin syntax from location bar to different dolphin instantiated objects.

    It is perhaps not possible to do what I am trying.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdole View Post
    This part is exactly copied from what I have configured and is not working.
    The user,computer,folder exists.
    Code:
    dolphin %i -caption %c %u --select sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/
    Omit the "--select", and it should work. It doesn't make sense in this case anyway (it tells dolphin to pre-select the specified file/folder).

    And you should leave out the %u as well, to avoid other things being opened as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Omit the "--select", and it should work. It doesn't make sense in this case anyway (it tells dolphin to pre-select the specified file/folder).

    And you should leave out the %u as well, to avoid other things being opened as well.
    Great.

    Thank you very much
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    One additional note though:
    The -caption parameter will not work with current (KF5-based) dolphin versions any more, it would need to be replaced with -qwindowtitle if you ever upgrade.
    Or remove the "-caption %c" completely, it's not necessary anyway (it only sets the window title to the name of the application menu entry, if you omit it it will be "Dolphin").

    And you could remove the %i too, that sets the window icon to the one in the application menu, but that should be done automatically anyway.

    So in the end, this should be sufficient:
    Code:
    dolphin sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Kickoff App Launcher - Adding a "favorite" dolphin launcher to a network folder

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    One additional note though:
    The -caption parameter will not work with current (KF5-based) dolphin versions any more, it would need to be replaced with -qwindowtitle if you ever upgrade.
    Or remove the "-caption %c" completely, it's not necessary anyway (it only sets the window title to the name of the application menu entry, if you omit it it will be "Dolphin").

    And you could remove the %i too, that sets the window icon to the one in the application menu, but that should be done automatically anyway.

    So in the end, this should be sufficient:
    Code:
    dolphin sftp://user@192.168.123.123:12345/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/
    Thank you very much
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •