How to free up space from daily updates

I’ve been using Tumbleweed for a week now and enjoy it very much. But I’ve noticed that after daily updates that my ssd 120 gb hard drive is filling up fast. It’s gone from 16-23% filled in a week? How can I free up space so my hhd doesn’t fill up in a month of updates?

Hi
You need to configure snapper first, edit the /etc/snapper/configs/root and set the number snapshots to something like;

# limit for number cleanup
NUMBER_MIN_AGE="1800"
NUMBER_LIMIT="4"
NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT="2"

Then run the daily cleanup cronjob and the btrfs-balance;

/etc/cron.daily/suse.de-snapper
/etc/cron.weekly/btrfs-balance.sh

That should clean things up, on tumbleweed if the latest updates are running ok, then manually run those two commands to help keep things clean.

I made the changes to snapper, then after saving do I reboot? and the

Then run the daily cleanup cronjob and the btrfs-balance;

/etc/cron.daily/suse.de-snapper

just add command to terminal and press enter? How do you run daily cleanup cronjob? What is in front of the paths you gave me?

Here’s the results:

davek@linux-6kvw:~> su
Password: 
linux-6kvw:/home/davek # /etc/cron.daily/suse.de-snapper
linux-6kvw:/home/davek # /etc/cron.weekly/btrfs-balance.sh
bash: /etc/cron.weekly/btrfs-balance.sh: No such file or directory
linux-6kvw:/home/davek # 

Rebooted and now after running df it shows 20% used instead of 23%. If I learn to run the cronjob maybe I can lower that percentage?

The cron will run daily and weekly respectively. They are scheduled. Changing the limit will reduce the number of snapshots.

Hi
Ok, so looks like the softlink is not created for the balance, as root user create;

cd /etc/cron.weekly
ln -s /usr/share/btrfsmaintenance/btrfs-balance.sh

If you run the command;

snapper list

It should show a reduced number, once the balance job runs that should clean up btrfs usage some more, you can check the status via;

btrfs fi usage /

With tumbleweed if it’s a big update, then it will create a bigger snapshot, or if you doing multiple changes, adding packages etc, snapshots can build up before the daily or weekly cronjob is run. For example there have been 4 tumbleweed releases this week, if the weekly job hasn’t run, then more space will be consumed.

Thank you!

Haven’t used tumbleweed for a few days and had 578 updates and filled the hdd to 27%! What can I do to cut this in half?

I really like using Tumbleweed but if it fills up with updates so fast I won’t be able to use this OS on a regular basis.

Do others must have this problem too?

Hi
Configure snapper and clean up manually (see the previous posts).

OK, ran…

**linux-6kvw:/etc/cron.weekly #** btrfs fi usage /
Overall:
    Device size:                  40.00GiB
    Device allocated:             12.78GiB
    Device unallocated:           27.22GiB
    Device missing:                  0.00B
    Used:                         10.40GiB
    Free (estimated):             29.31GiB      (min: 29.31GiB)
    Data ratio:                       1.00
    Metadata ratio:                   1.00
    Global reserve:              176.00MiB      (used: 1.08MiB)

Data,single: Size:12.00GiB, Used:9.91GiB
   /dev/sda2      12.00GiB

Metadata,single: Size:768.00MiB, Used:505.94MiB
   /dev/sda2     768.00MiB

System,single: Size:32.00MiB, Used:16.00KiB
   /dev/sda2      32.00MiB

Unallocated:
   /dev/sda2      27.22GiB
**linux-6kvw:/etc/cron.weekly #** 

still at 27%

Hi
You mean 27G free…? All looks good to me?

27 gb free out of 120 gb hdd is not very good. I usually have one partition so I have more room. I don’t need /home partition. So I wonder how long it takes for the upgrades to fill the hdd and I won’t be able to use Tumbleweed any longer?

Hi
The / partition size is only 40G, the rest must be home? So you have used space elsewhere…

Please post the output from;

lsblk

Then run;
du -sh /<each of the relevant partitions>

eg;
lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 111.8G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   200M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0    57G  0 part
├─sda3   8:3    0 619.9M  0 part
├─sda4   8:4    0    30G  0 part /
├─sda5   8:5    0    20G  0 part /data
└─sda6   8:6    0     4G  0 part [SWAP]

du -sh /data
11G    /data

It’s not upgrades perse it’s the filesystem you use and the way you have it configured

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial

I still use ext4 for root and only use ~6GB for plasma 5, lxqt and a lot of apps.
read the snapper tutorial and reconfigure snapper to release some (a lot) of space

I didn’t read your previous post, you use ~40% of root or ~12GB and that’s not a lot, you might have not formatted the rest of your hard disk, use the Yast partitioner and see how your disk has been setup

http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.advdisk.html#sec.yast2.i_y2_part_expert

Thanks. The installation set up the home and / partitions for me. And they are two different file formats. I would have picked one / partition but I don’t partition much any more. How can you partition when they are different file systems and why do you need different file systems?

I’ll probably use it as is until the hdd fills up with updates and then I’ll reinstall the OS and partition it to one / partition. Or maybe I should install Leap and forget tumbleweed?

The reason for two (3 actually counting swap) partitions is that a separate home makes it a lot easier t upgrade or change OS with out messing with your personal data which lives in home.

Tumbleweed has a lot of large updates do to it’s nature and snapper is on by default so space is taken with snapshots that allow you to roll things back, 40 gig should be ok for the system ie root partition and you personal stuff is all in /home. You can also control how often and when snapper makes it’s snapshots and how many to keep

Thanks for all the advice, what command should I use to change the number of snapshots and what is the lowest number you can use?

You can turn it off completely if you want

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Snapper