Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calculators

Default Calculators

I am used to using linux calculators. Whether Suse or Ubuntu, or gnome or mate, in the latest distros the calcs no longer respond the way they used to, meaning I used to

be able to right click on calc and get it to stay on top, or to move it. Now you have to use alt/space bar to select stay on top and alt F/7 to move it. Is there a way to restore the

easier right click options that use to work just fine?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Calculators

At least on LXDE (which I have open at the moment) which has underlying Gnome Desktop components (but can't guarantee same functionality always),

On any open window,
    You can still
    1. Lft-Click on the icon in the top left of the window's chrome and select "Layer > Always on top"
    2. Rt-Click on the window's chrome and select the same "Layer > Always on top"

If you didn't know, the "chrome" is the part of the window typically across the top that is separate from the actual window and content.

This should work for all windowed applications, calculator or not.

Maybe you need to be more specific about your setup and app?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Thinking a bit more about your question,

It wouldn't surprise me that the Display Manager likely provides and enables various graphical features, possibly including what you've posted about.

Possible solution:
    Change your Display Manager.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    At least on LXDE (which I have open at the moment) which has underlying Gnome Desktop components (but can't guarantee same functionality always),

On any open window,
    You can still
    1. Lft-Click on the icon in the top left of the window's chrome and select "Layer > Always on top"
    2. Rt-Click on the window's chrome and select the same "Layer > Always on top"

If you didn't know, the "chrome" is the part of the window typically across the top that is separate from the actual window and content.

This should work for all windowed applications, calculator or not.

Maybe you need to be more specific about your setup and app?

TSU

I am using suse 42.1 and gnome calc 3.16.2-2.4. Left click does nothing.

Thinking a bit more about your question,

It wouldn't surprise me that the Display Manager likely provides and enables various graphical features, possibly including what you've posted about.

Possible solution:
    Change your Display Manager.

TSU
    I see display which has to do with your monitor but no display manager. What am I missing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starrider23 View Post
    I see display which has to do with your monitor but no display manager. What am I missing?
    The Display Manager is the piece of software that is responsible for how various objects are displayed on your screen. It's independent of everything else including Desktop and OS, and is generally required for seeing anything graphical on your screen.

There are a number of other posts in this Forum which describes how to set your choice of Display Manager,
    Here is one
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...isplay+manager

BTW - Many Display Managers can be used, but of course any has to first be installed (search in your YAST software manager is one way). You should know that the YAST method described in the above Forum thread may display only a partial list of choices, you may also be able to type a different Display Manager if it's available.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

I get this far but then do not know what to do?

File: /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

Possible Values: kdm, xdm, gdm, wdm, entrance, console, lightdm, sddm or any value
    Default Value:
    Original Value: gdm
    Description:

The Display Manager is the piece of software that is responsible for how various objects are displayed on your screen. It's independent of everything else including Desktop and OS, and is generally required for seeing anything graphical on your screen.

There are a number of other posts in this Forum which describes how to set your choice of Display Manager,
    Here is one
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...isplay+manager

BTW - Many Display Managers can be used, but of course any has to first be installed (search in your YAST software manager is one way). You should know that the YAST method described in the above Forum thread may display only a partial list of choices, you may also be able to type a different Display Manager if it's available.

TSU
    I found a work around. Using Galcutor and Konqueror gives me the tools I am missing in Gnome.

https://alexcabal.com/dear-gnome-dev...rashing-gnome/

I installed xfce. In xfce the calculator works the way it is supposed to. Drag it, right click stay on top all work. Now why is that not the case in Gnome,Mate, or Plasma?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starrider23 View Post
    I installed xfce. In xfce the calculator works the way it is supposed to. Drag it, right click stay on top all work. Now why is that not the case in Gnome,Mate, or Plasma?
    Still speculating a bit,
    In each Desktop,
    Open the /etc/sysconfig editor and inspect the current values for the DISPLAY_MANAGER and WINDOW_MANAGER.

Compare the two and see if there are differences, you can even set the values to be the same as the other Desktop while testing since it looks like the consequence isn't major.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast