Trying to get cube animation to work

I’ve just installed Leap 42.1 and I’m trying to get cube animation to work. It works with the root account but not with my personal one and I can’t see why.

In both cases I have selected “Desktop Cube Animation” in the Switching tab of Virtual Desktops, and have checked “Desktop Cube Animation” and “Desktop Cube” in Desktop Effects. This gives my cube animation for the root account but not for my personal one. The one difference between the two accounts that I can see is that the options for cubes in Desktop Effects in my personal account are only visible if I check “Exclude [sic] Desktop Effects Not Supported by the Compositor”.

I’m using an NVidia GTX980 graphics card. I’ve uninstalled nouveau and installed X11-video-nvidiaG04 as the graphics driver. This okay? (Except that I can’t imagine how a driver problem could affect one account and not another.)

You should NOT uninstall nouveau there is no need but is not part of the problem

What is Configure desktop - Desktop effects -advanced - Compositing and QT set to??

Also Never log into a GUI as root it can lead to problems with user accounts purely by accident.

Since video res and other effects are personal choices they are configurable for each user. Remember that Linux is multi user

Thanks for the reply.

I must have misunderstood what I’d read on the subject. I’ve reinstalled it.

What is Configure desktop - Desktop effects -advanced - Compositing and QT set to??

This is the bit that puzzles me. There isn’t an “Advanced tab” in Desktop Effects. Do I have to do something to make it appear?[/QUOTE]

Also Never log into a GUI as root it can lead to problems with user accounts purely by accident.

The GUI interface appears when I log into Root by default. In any case, there are system-wide confisurations which mean I have to (eg setting up fonts, the login screen, etc).

Since video res and other effects are personal choices they are configurable for each user. Remember that Linux is multi user

Quite. That’s why I attempted to configure each one separately.

The big question is how to access compositing and QT options.

Be sure you are running systemsettings5 and not systemsettings Which is for legacy stuff

Do NOT log into root unless in terminal. There is nothing you can not do by simply logging in as a user and become root when needed. Running a GUI as root may change the ownership of files in a users home making impossible to log in to the GUI as that user. Simply it presents a danger that you mess up your system.

Note that root is a user and has it’s own special home in /root. So root settings are just another user preference setting for the root user not system wide

Well I’m still a on 13.2 not caring for some of the regressions in plasma 5 so maybe they moved it it is there some place if you rare sure you run systemsettings5

So does anyone know where compositor and QT are defined in plasma 5?

Try starting systemsettings5 in a console

I think this is what you asked about
make sure that the nvidia driver is installed and appropriate rendering enabled
http://i.imgur.com/isiHxYI.png
and you can select the cube here
http://i.imgur.com/K4g16qR.png

That’s it! Thanks. They moved where to specify the compositor. It’s actually in a more logical place, but it confused me to start with.

Maybe if you add your user account to video group… It helped me with video games some time ago when I was using not Leap.