Thread: Gnome 3.16.2 Behavior

Default Gnome 3.16.2 Behavior

I am new to Suse Gnome 3.16.2

I am mostly liking it but am not sure what the purpose of the desktop right side slide in and out squares are for. My panel is on the left,so say I open Thunderbird, minimize it

then open firefox. So when going back and forth I click on Activities and switch back and forth that way. While doing that the right side squares come into view briefly. What is

this for??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gnome 3.16.2 Behavior

Hi
    Those are the dynamic workspaces (Desktops), so you can add your applications to them eg have firefox on one, thunderbird on another etc and if you hover the mouse over these windows you can use the mouse to select. You can also via settings->tweak tool set them to static rather than dynamic if desired.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thanks I will give it a try. I also notice that some discussions say their panel is at top or bottom. Mine is at the side when I click activities. Are some panels stationary rather than in and out when activities is clicked on?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starrider23 View Post
    Thanks I will give it a try. I also notice that some discussions say their panel is at top or bottom. Mine is at the side when I click activities. Are some panels stationary rather than in and out when activities is clicked on?
    Hi
    There is a top panel (on SLE 12, it's at the bottom), but the one you see at the side is only present in when in overview which is the 'activities' one. I use the gnome-shell extension called activities configurator to customize mine...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I will give that a try too, and thank you! I installed Mate, and KDE as well. My standby is Mate, but this new gnome has somethings I like too.

Quote Originally Posted by starrider23 View Post
    I will give that a try too, and thank you! I installed Mate, and KDE as well. My standby is Mate, but this new gnome has somethings I like too.

I have been patient in learning Suse 42.1 gnome edition. I received great help in these forums. I am very impressed with Suse now. I know this may be crazy but my computer

seems to run quieter. Is this possible?