Thread: Wine Problems

Default Wine Problems

Hi all,

I finally got my newly built computer running Leap 42.1!! There sure are some differences between this and 13.2!

I put in the repository to install Wine, installed it, and am not sure if it's installed properly. In 13.2, Wine will put an entry in the Menu under applications, but not in Leap 42.1. Is this correct? Also, I've installed a budget program, which created a desktop icon (in desktop folder). I click on that icon, and KWriter opens up. I'm thinking that I've missed something. Please assist, and thanks in advance!

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Re: Wine Problems

OK, I've got an update. I see that the Wine programs are in the Application Launcher under Lost and Found. So, two questions:

• Is it possible to move them to a Wine group?
    • The .desktop icon still opens with Kwriter and not Wine. How can I get that to use Wine?

Thanks!
    Mike

wine is a command line application so it really does not have a launcher, a few wine apps that have gui's (like wine mine or wine notepad) have launchers, if you want to start wine, in a terminal window type wine or man wine
    about wine launchers there are 2 kinds global system desktop files located in /usr/share/applications I do not recommend editing them and personal user launchers found in .local/share/applications you can edit those with a text file, by changing their Categories field you can control where they showup. for example if
    Categories=Office;
    the launcher will showup in the Office sub-menu
    Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
    will show in the internet sub-menu
    I think what you want is a gui to manage wine, there are a few of them in the opensuse repo's, q4wine is one there are others
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/q4wine
    PlayOnLinux is another
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/PlayOnLinux

I didn't quite understand your post but after re-reading it, yes the menu structure in plasma 5 is diffident then the one in kde4 if that's what you meant, there is a way to make it looks similar but not quite the same
    to make the plasma 5 menu look like the old kde 4 do this
    backup your current menu
    Code:
    mv /etc/xdg/menus/kf5-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/kf5-applications.menu.bak
    copy regular applications menu for plasma 5 use
    Code:
    cp /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/kf5-applications.menu
    you said you added a repo to install wine, what repo did you add, why not use wine from the update repo?
    what's your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d