Thread: how to recover file associations?

Question how to recover file associations?

hello, all.

after installing mate, my file associations broke. e.g. gimp opens pdf and 'show in folder' chrome command fires vlc.
    i tried uninstalling mate, reinstalling kde. but no good.

if i try to edit associations in file properties window, after i click 'apply' button, everything reverts back. same in kde settings.

Default Re: how to recover file associations?

experimenting with pdf filetype gave me the following:
    when there were only gimp and okular available, the priority change was reverted back (gimp first).
    but after i've installed qpdfvuew, and it appeared 3rd option in the list, i was able to make it 2nd, but not first. if i try to make something the first option, gimp always reverts back after applying the changes. but it is possible to swap 2nd and 3rd positions.

Quote Originally Posted by stasuss View Post
    hello, all.

after installing mate, my file associations broke. e.g. gimp opens pdf and 'show in folder' chrome command fires vlc.
    i tried uninstalling mate, reinstalling kde. but no good.

if i try to edit associations in file properties window, after i click 'apply' button, everything reverts back. same in kde settings.
    This is in Plasma5?

Delete ~/.config/mimeapps.list and it should work again, or use Mate's settings to change the associations.

(Likely) cause of the problem: Mate probably writes the file associations to ~/.config/mimeapps.list, the newly defined standard location for that config. Plasma (the version in Leap 42.1 at least) still writes to the old location (~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list), but respects both (with ~/.config/ taking precedence) as per the freedesktop.org specifications.

KDE's file associations editor has been "fixed" recently to also write to ~/.config/, but that change is not in Leap yet.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-May-2016 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    This is in Plasma5?

Delete ~/.config/mimeapps.list and it should work again, or use Mate's settings to change the associations.

(Likely) cause of the problem: Mate probably writes the file associations to ~/.config/mimeapps.list, the newly defined standard location for that config. Plasma (the version in Leap 42.1 at least) still writes to the old location (~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list), but respects both (with ~/.config/ taking precedence) as per the freedesktop.org specifications.

KDE's file associations editor has been "fixed" recently to also write to ~/.config/, but that change is not in Leap yet.
    it helped! thank you!

That's this bug btw, fixed in Plasma 5.6...
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354179

Another workaround is mentioned there too:
    A workaround on the user side is to merge $HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list to $HOME/.config/mimeapps.list, and create a symbolic link to $HOME/.config/mimeapps.list at $HOME/.local/share/applications. Systemsettings then works fine.
    That's probably advisable if you do want to use a current Mate (or GNOME, and probably others as well) in parallel to Plasma 5.5 (or lower, including KDE4)...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-May-2016 at 12:11.