Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

  1. #11

    Default Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You can use this repo to get Leap's kernel though:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...42.1/standard/

    Give it a higher priority (i.e. lower priority number) than the standard repos, and zypper should only install the kernel from there I think.

    If not, you could lock (i.e. prevent installation of) kernel-default from repo-oss like this:
    Code:
    zypper al -r repo-oss kernel-default
    (you need to adapt the repo name accordingly of course)
    I would suggest just adding the Leap OSS repository (http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...42.1/repo/oss/) and then install the kernel from there. You can find the version you want with
    Code:
    zypper se -v kernel-default
    zypper in kernel-default-#.#.#-#.#
    Then, you can add a lock to kernel-default for a specific repository or globally.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    In the multi-version settings, set it to keep the oldest kernel. That way the desired one won't be accidentally deleted.

    When the desired kernel is updated, then manually delete that, so that it's update becomes the preserved oldest one.

    I followed that practice with the old Tumbleweed (based on 12.3 and 13.1). It allowed me to be sure that I always kept a kernel from the base system (the 12.3 or 13.1).
    Also not a bad idea, but I don't want zypper updating my GRUB every time it installs a new kernel (even if I don't want to use it).

  2. #12

    Default Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    Quote Originally Posted by palswim View Post
    I would suggest just adding the Leap OSS repository (http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...42.1/repo/oss/) and then install the kernel from there.
    Sorry, I would *strongly* advise against that.

    This can easily break your system.
    (and of course it will take space on your hard disk for the package information cache, and it will take time to refresh that repo, which contains a *lot* of packages)

    It's unnecessary and overkill for just getting Leap's kernel.

    You can install the kernel from Leap's standard repository if you want, but better download the package manually and install it with "rpm -i".
    You can even specify the full URL to the package and rpm will download it automatically:
    Code:
    rpm -i http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/kernel-default-4.1.12-1.1.x86_64.rpm
    OTOH, this thread was started months ago. The problems with the (then) current kernel are hopefully fixed by now...
    Tumbleweed has moved from kernel 4.5 to 4.8 meanwhile.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 11-Nov-2016 at 04:13.

  3. #13

    Default Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    I use the thread as I found no more appropriate one. Obviously I don't want 4.1.

    I want to use the commercial Intel vTunes profiling tool which does not officially support openSUSE.
    I cannot compile the required vtune kernel drivers with the current TW kernel 4.15, but I believe it worked with 4.12
    https://software.intel.com/forums/in...e/topic/755180

    What is the best way get a 4.12 kernel?

    With https://software.opensuse.org/package/kernel-source

    I find the community package home:dsterba:kernel:v4.12
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s.../kernel-source

    And there is "Versuchsweise" KernelpenSUSE-15.0
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s.../kernel-source
    Note, that the link is below "Distributionen openSUSE Tumbleweed"

    I need to keep the kernel at least up the next update of Intel parallel studio.

    Next question, which tag do I then need to add to /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to keep the kernel in my multiboot configuration?

    Thanks a lot for the guidance on what to do best!!

    P.S.: Although I'm German, I have no idea what is meant with "Versuchsweise". The page is unfortunately in German and I see no option to switch it to English.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,507
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian_188 View Post
    I use the thread as I found no more appropriate one. Obviously I don't want 4.1.

    I want to use the commercial Intel vTunes profiling tool which does not officially support openSUSE.
    I cannot compile the required vtune kernel drivers with the current TW kernel 4.15, but I believe it worked with 4.12
    https://software.intel.com/forums/in...e/topic/755180

    What is the best way get a 4.12 kernel?

    With https://software.opensuse.org/package/kernel-source

    I find the community package home:dsterba:kernel:v4.12
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s.../kernel-source

    And there is "Versuchsweise" KernelpenSUSE-15.0
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s.../kernel-source
    Note, that the link is below "Distributionen openSUSE Tumbleweed"

    I need to keep the kernel at least up the next update of Intel parallel studio.

    Next question, which tag do I then need to add to /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to keep the kernel in my multiboot configuration?

    Thanks a lot for the guidance on what to do best!!

    P.S.: Although I'm German, I have no idea what is meant with "Versuchsweise". The page is unfortunately in German and I see no option to switch it to English.
    Hi
    Ummm, don't, unless you happy with an insecure system?

    I see there is an update planned in the thread listed, but also access to the pre-release version, ask for that and move on....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #15

    Default Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Ummm, don't, unless you happy with an insecure system?

    I see there is an update planned in the thread listed, but also access to the pre-release version, ask for that and move on....
    Sorry, I don't understand anything from your answer:
    * in which "thread listed" is an update planed? What does it mean
    * "but also access to the pre-release version"??
    * "ask for that" ask where?

    In the beginning of the thread there was warned to use a Leap kernel in TW, but now I found the Leap kernel under "tumbleweed distribution". Does this mean, that the Leap kernel is also available under TW? Is it save to use this one?

    Do you refer to this Leap 15.0 kernel package?

    BTW, I need the sources for the kernel, too, to build by vtunes driver.

    Honestly I prefer unsecure over not being able to use vtunes.

    Thanks for a clarification.

  6. #16

    Default Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    Sorry, now I understand! I was not aware of an response from Intel on the issue thread meanwhile.

    Now your response makes perfectly sense - thanks for pointing this out!

    P.S.: I cannot edit my previous answer any more.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sauerland
    Posts
    3,886

    Default AW: Re: How can I downgrade my kernel to 4.1 (Leap's) and lock it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian_188 View Post
    P.S.: I cannot edit my previous answer any more.
    See here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...s-Time-Limited

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •