Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For booting in "Text Mode" from ISO, offer resolutions

Blog Entries

Default Re: For booting in "Text Mode" from ISO, offer resolutions

@OP,

When you install openSUSE in "Server Mode,'
    Grub boots with its VESA video driver but is never replaced by a more capable driver which is what happens when a Desktop is installed.

So, you have a few options...
    - Modify the VESA configuration. See the GRUB documentation for doing this. You <may> be able to try setting an new xrandr configuration, but I haven't tried that.
    - You can install the "Minimal X" Desktop option. It's not really a Desktop, but is a Windows Manager so you do have a graphical UI with some tools to work with. Since you're still using the VESA driver, you won't have many display options but it seems that you want to actually configure a <lower> resolution which should be possible (a higher resolution wouldn't be possible). The additional benefit is that nowadays you should be able to do most console operations in a windowed console better than a true, bare tty. The resources used to run Minimal X is not much different than running in Server Text mode.
    - You can install other "lighter" Desktops like LXDE and XFCE with more capability than Minimal X, but will likely require about 500MB more RAM (my own estimation).

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thank you for the information, but that's a bit too in depth. I don't want to configure all the xrandr files, but what ended up working, (in 1920x1080) was a cd booting into a USB, with an openSUSE image made with UnetBootin. That last part is especially important.

In Unetbootin, it gives me the option of "Default" which doesn't work at all! "Linux" which is just basically, "Start installation". So, how might I configure the ISO files (it's all expanded on the USB drive, so I don't have to manually get into it) to start at a lower resolution, like 1280x720?

Typing in OpenSUSE 13.2 but I can't get my wi-fi card working. When I try to both 'Enable' and 'Start' the network service, it won't let me, it says it's inactive. How can I fix that? Ethernet works fine.

Blog Entries

Just giving you all the options I can think of for your choosing...

If you'd like a recommendation from the choices I presented, depending on your reason for selecting Server mode in the first place, I'd recommend

Re-install, but choose "Minimal X" for your Desktop instead of "Server" if you're trying to minimize attack surface and resource usage whenever you're logged in locally to your machine. You should then have a graphical tool to modify your screen resolution so you don't need to know how to configure xandr. You should see almost no difference in CPU or memory usage compared to the text-only Server mode.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

I'm trying to do this when booting from an install CD--in this situation, I don't have a desktop, (not one that I know how to access) so I don't think this pertains. In XFCE I can just change stuff to where I need it.

XFCE is a desktop

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Just giving you all the options I can think of for your choosing...

If you'd like a recommendation from the choices I presented, depending on your reason for selecting Server mode in the first place, I'd recommend

Re-install, but choose "Minimal X" for your Desktop instead of "Server" if you're trying to minimize attack surface and resource usage whenever you're logged in locally to your machine. You should then have a graphical tool to modify your screen resolution so you don't need to know how to configure xandr. You should see almost no difference in CPU or memory usage compared to the text-only Server mode.

TSU
    So I don't think minimal X as the desktop will affect the display when I'm installing through system. I unbeatable how to configure the resolution when I'm installed and at a normal desktop.

I'm going against what I stated and I wouldn't mind modifying the files available on the ISO as it currently seems the easiest and most persistent way to go. Where may I post a list of files in the / of my usb drive? I think if I modify the "Linux" option I could change the res.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timpster View Post
    So I don't think minimal X as the desktop will affect the display when I'm installing through system. I unbeatable how to configure the resolution when I'm installed and at a normal desktop.

I'm going against what I stated and I wouldn't mind modifying the files available on the ISO as it currently seems the easiest and most persistent way to go. Where may I post a list of files in the / of my usb drive? I think if I modify the "Linux" option I could change the res.
    Since I had to build a new machine (TW but the following should apply to MinimalX on all openSUSE versions)
    I went ahead and tested the MinimalX solution I recommended...

So, this is what happens...
    During the initial boot process, Grub and any screen messages you see will be at whatever the GRUB default configuration is, on your machine.

You will be presented with a login screen, enter your username and password.
    You will then see a graphical Desktop like environment, but AFAIK it's only a Window Manager at full screen for the most part with an application launcher button, menu and only one installed application, xterm.

Within this graphical environment, you can install any app you choose, for your described purpose I installed arandr (Another xrandr config utility). After it's installed, you now have an easy to use app to re-configure your Desktop resolution, you can find it in the following menu item

IceWM_App_Button > SUSE > Utilities > Desktop > ARandR

When you open ARandR,
    Click "New" in case you decide you'd like to save your configuration (for applying to another machine? Or, just skip this step, I don't personally see a point for now.
    Click "Outputs" in the menu bar, scroll down to "Virtual1" (It's probably the only option not greyed out), click on "Resolution" and choose something.
    After the new resolution is selected, click the "Apply" button and your screen will change.

HTH,
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12