Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tumbleweed, 32 bit, unbearably slow net install

Default Re: New Tumbleweed, 32 bit, unbearably slow net install

DHCP configuring is failing. Is this common? I (I think) loaded all five repos when booting up, of course horribly slowly though. Took near an hour or more. Then it loads some more stuff, and give "An error has ocurred" in a red box. Then when I choose HTTP and autoconfig, it won't get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timpster View Post
    Do you have plans to acquire the resources to dedicate more server bandwidth to the required repos so it's not so slow? Also, just wondering, about how many users / connections would you guess is the server handling at times like this?
    Hi
    Until the mirrors sync it has to start at one server.... I just ran a zypper dup on my test system (MacBook3,1 2.2GHz intel cpu 4GB RAM) it's 64bit though, coming in around at full speed here ~8.0Mbit/s looks like it will take about 30 mintues to finish.

Must be a 32bit thing, else what are the system specs, plenty on RAM? Good internet connection?

Not sure about dhcp, I use static ip's with NetworkManager and GNOME DE, but again have no idea for 32bit systems....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Working with an old... i686, Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz 32 Bit CPU, with something like 480 MB of ram. I can access the text based installer and it's magnitudes faster--it just doesn't start. I'm not sure how to set up a static IP. Sure I can pick one and choose the right gateway, but beyond that I'm lost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timpster View Post
    Working with an old... i686, Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz 32 Bit CPU, with something like 480 MB of ram. I can access the text based installer and it's magnitudes faster--it just doesn't start. I'm not sure how to set up a static IP. Sure I can pick one and choose the right gateway, but beyond that I'm lost.
    Hi
    Anything less than 1GB of ram would be busy swapping like crazy..... SATA or IDE disks? Can you put more RAM in the system, min is 1GB recommended 2GB.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

If I have any that fits, yes, but I'm not sure. Why can I not just use the text mode? I think it's the same thing--and I even got past the license / keyboard select screen with ease, it just fails with an error. I feel that the error has something to do with DHCP because it won't connect when I go through that setup tool (It asks me to pick from HTTP / HTTPS / FTP etc, and go through that again).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12