Thread: Cut and Paste has stopped working. Help please

Default Cut and Paste has stopped working. Help please

Just trying to do normal housekeeping moving files from temporary download directory to their proper home and suddenly cut and paste no longer works. It has almost certainly been after an update but there have been so many of these of late I have no idea which.
    Can anybody help please?
    Budgie2

Default AW: Cut and Paste has stopped working. Help please

And which desktop/file manager?

Why don't you just drag and drop the file instead?
    Personally I never ever use that Cut/Paste thing (with files), just feels unnatural to me...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 27-Apr-2016 at 09:14.

Default Re: AW: Cut and Paste has stopped working. Help please

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And which desktop/file manager?

Why don't you just drag and drop the file instead?
    Personally I never ever use that Cut/Paste thing (with files), just feels unnatural to me...
    Hi, thanks for the reply and I am sorry I didn't make all clear. I am using KDE with the dreadful Plasma 5.5.5 and Dolphin file manager.
    Drag and drop seems to work still but out of habit I prefer cut and paste and am really annoyed that system has become unstable. At this rate even windoze is more reliable.
    Regards,
    Budgie2

Default Re: Cut and Paste has stopped working. Help please

Check Klipper settings to see if maybe they have changed

Blog Entries

Cut and paste is mostly working fine for me.

But then my preferred file manager is the unix shell via a GUI command line interface (such as "xterm" or "konsole").

As far as I know, the GUI software mostly does its own interpretation of copy/paste. And the different programs are not all consistent. For example, "konqueror" doesn't do it the way that I want on this forum, unless I tell "konqueror" to pretend that it is "firefox" -- this probably indicates that the java scripting is controlling how copy/paste works.

So I think you either have to get used to the way that it is handled in the software that you use, or you have to switch to using software that handles it the way that you want.

And if everything eventually moves to Wayland (instead of X), it will probably all change again.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Is it like this?

https://youtu.be/sxIX1BpJV_w

You need to push 4-5 times the C after the copy feature works?

Hi, Problem seems to have been solved with a reboot. Just like Windoze, what joy.

logging out and back in is often required to restart packages with the new stuff. or you can just restart things one at a time you can get a list of what should be restarted with zypper ps

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    As far as I know, the GUI software mostly does its own interpretation of copy/paste. And the different programs are not all consistent. For example, "konqueror" doesn't do it the way that I want on this forum, unless I tell "konqueror" to pretend that it is "firefox" -- this probably indicates that the java scripting is controlling how copy/paste works.

So I think you either have to get used to the way that it is handled in the software that you use, or you have to switch to using software that handles it the way that you want.

And if everything eventually moves to Wayland (instead of X), it will probably all change again.
    Cutting/pasting *files* in the file manager does not use the X clipboard at all, nor does it involve klipper.
    It's just a different method to move files from one folder to another.

Btw, this (cutting/pasting files) seems to work fine here (with dolphin 16.04.0 and KDE Frameworks 5.21.0). But as mentioned, I don't use it at all normally...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-Apr-2016 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Cutting/pasting *files* in the file manager does not use the X clipboard at all, nor does it involve klipper.
    Ok, it seems I was wrong, sorry.

Dolphin apparently does use the clipboard to "remember" the file names.

If you copy or cut some text e.g. afterwards, you cannot paste the files any more (unless you select the previous entry in klipper or Plasma's clipboard plasmoid).

Actually moving/copying the files is done without the clipboard though.