Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

Default Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

Welcome

I just installed OS LEAP on my main workstation. Everything works well but after installing nvidia drivers I had a strange Issue.
    When I'm doing relog or reboot, all screen positioning is lost and It looks like all screens are stacked on first monitor and I seeing only one mirrored display on second monitor.
    I tried to use nvidia-settings to save settings but It's using obsolete xorg.conf . (I have an obsolete GPU Nvidia 7900GS so drivers are so old)

It's so annoying to changing settings every restart :/

I don't know nothing about this problem with nouveau drivers - first step what I did is installing NV drivers.
    How to fix it ?

Default Re: Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

NV and nouveau are two different drivers don't confuse them and don't remove either. If nouveau works simply remove the proprietary package you installed there are several depending on what flavour you used but all have nvidia in there names. DO NOT remove any others that may be parts of other drivers only those with nvidia in the package name.

Maybe it is time for a video hardware upgrade???

Default Re: Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

Quote Originally Posted by sharpi View Post
    Welcome

I just installed OS LEAP on my main workstation. Everything works well but after installing nvidia drivers I had a strange Issue.
    When I'm doing relog or reboot, all screen positioning is lost and It looks like all screens are stacked on first monitor and I seeing only one mirrored display on second monitor.
    I tried to use nvidia-settings to save settings but It's using obsolete xorg.conf . (I have an obsolete GPU Nvidia 7900GS so drivers are so old)

It's so annoying to changing settings every restart :/

I don't know nothing about this problem with nouveau drivers - first step what I did is installing NV drivers
    How to fix it ?
    I have a similar issue, using nvidia gfx660 and leap 42.1. However, the issue doesn't occur every time, just sometimes when I boot suddenly the main desktop is duplicated (mirrored) on both monitors, so I need to go to Configure Desktop -> Display and Monitor -> Display Configuration and there I see like one screen on top of the other, need to pull the top one to the right side and apply, then everything is normal until the issue occurs again some time.

Have you found any fix for this problem?

Regards,
    Damir

I've tried to set the display config under the "Nvidia X Server Settings" and it did work for some days but this morning I had the duplicate screen again.

Anyone any idea where this issue comes from or in what direction to start looking?

Regards,
    Damir

No ideas? No one?

Default AW: Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

I think, this is one of the Bugs in Plasma.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    I think, this is one of the Bugs in Plasma.
    Hi
    Just to confirm I don't see this with GNOME and dual screens, so does sound DE related.

I do turn on coolbits in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf that's the only config I do with GeForce 8800 GT and 340.96 driver.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Confirming that this happens to me as well. Using KDE. No clear pattern to it. Sometimes logging out & in puts the screens back, sometimes I need to use the "NVIDIA Server Settings" control to fix it.

Default Re: AW: Loosing dual screen positioning settings after reboot [NVIDIA DRIVERS]

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Just to confirm I don't see this with GNOME and dual screens, so does sound DE related.

I do turn on coolbits in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf that's the only config I do with GeForce 8800 GT and 340.96 driver.
    I had it with different drivers and I've got the feeling that it has improved since setting display-config under the "nvidia x server settings", it happens less frequent.
    Sometimes only the left and right display change position, so you have to move the mouse cursor left to reach the display on the right side.

Regards,
    Damir

This seems to be becoming an issue again, two days in a row I had to set setup the monitors again.

Still no ideas what this could be causing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast