Thread: samba broken, symbol not found

Default samba broken, symbol not found

After the most recent software update, Samba stopped working. All samba programs fail to run due to an unresolved symbol that seems to be missing from

Code:
    # smbclient
    smbclient: relocation error: /usr/lib64/samba/libauthkrb5-samba4.so: symbol tevent_req_is_unix_error, version TEVENT_UTIL_0.0.1 not defined in file libtevent-util.so.0 with link time reference
    This wouldn't bother me if I didn't depend on a Windows print service. So how can I fix that?

Best regards

Andreas Müller

Default Re: samba broken, symbol not found

Quote Originally Posted by afm4711 View Post
    This wouldn't bother me if I didn't depend on a Windows print service. So how can I fix that?
    There already were a few threads about this, here and on the mailinglists (and even bugzilla).
    It happens when you do not fully update Samba and therefore have incompatible packages installed.

Run "zypper dup" or (if that doesn't help) "zypper up samba" and the problem should disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It happens when you do not fully update Samba and therefore have incompatible packages installed.
    Thanks, but what good is an automated software update system, when the automated system fails to update your installed packages? Why do I even care about Tumbleweed if it doesn't do what it is designed to do (update itself daily)?

Best regards

Andreas Müller

Quote Originally Posted by afm4711 View Post
    Thanks, but what good is an automated software update system, when the automated system fails to update your installed packages?
    What "automated software update system" are you talking about?
    There is none, by default at least.

If you talk about the desktop's update applet (which more or less just does a "zypper up"), that's more designed to handle updates in a *released* openSUSE version, not Tumbleweed.

Why do I even care about Tumbleweed if it doesn't do what it is designed to do (update itself daily)?
    Good question, and only you can answer that.

If you are using Tumbleweed, you have to be prepared for such things.
    Actually it is recommended to use "zypper dup", from time to time at least.

Every new snapshot practically is a new distribution release, therefore a "distribution upgrade".
    "zypper up" (or the desktop applet) should be fine most of the time, but there are situations that it cannot handle.

That doesn't mean that this particular update (samba) couldn't have been handled better though...