Thread: **INSANELY** slow network install on Leap, tumbleweed

Default **INSANELY** slow network install on Leap, tumbleweed

I'm getting an AVERAGE of, right now it says 2.7 Kilobytes. Yeah, that's a lot of bytes, but WTF! I've disconnected the Ethernet cable, let it sit for about 10 seconds and reconnected. I saw it go "way up" to 44 Kilobytes/s. Then 33, then 21, then 20, then 14, then 8, then whatever else. Why is this so slow? Is something hammering the OpenSUSE servers?

Edit: this is BEFORE the installation, but in the GUI where it's adding the repos. I'm finally at the install, and it's going at a very fast rate, in the 3+ MB/s.

Default Re: **INSANELY** slow network install on Leap, tumbleweed

To which server IP address are you connected, specifically?

Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a TTY, then check with 'ss:

Code:
    /usr/sbin/ss -planeto | grep ESTAB | grep -e ':80' -e ':443'

--
    Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below...

Blog Entries

I think it gets the repo information directly from the main download site. But the packages can be retrieved from mirrors.

Once you get to the stage of using mirrors, it goes faster.

I notice the same with updates. Getting the metadata is very slow, but it speed up once it begins to download RPMs.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

On a completely unrelated note, after finishing the KDE tumbleweed network install, I cannot 'startx' at all. It throws an error, and screws up the layout of the tty heavily, to the point where the next thing to type is below the screen, and when I clear it, it's not showing the text. I have to 'exit' to clear out everything the 'startx' error caused.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timpster View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, after finishing the KDE tumbleweed network install, I cannot 'startx' at all. It throws an error, and screws up the layout of the tty heavily, to the point where the next thing to type is below the screen, and when I clear it, it's not showing the text. I have to 'exit' to clear out everything the 'startx' error caused.
    You should start a new thread with a suitably descriptive title for assistance with that problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timpster View Post
    I'm getting an AVERAGE of, right now it says 2.7 Kilobytes. Yeah, that's a lot of bytes, but WTF! I've disconnected the Ethernet cable, let it sit for about 10 seconds and reconnected. I saw it go "way up" to 44 Kilobytes/s. Then 33, then 21, then 20, then 14, then 8, then whatever else. Why is this so slow? Is something hammering the OpenSUSE servers?

Edit: this is BEFORE the installation, but in the GUI where it's adding the repos. I'm finally at the install, and it's going at a very fast rate, in the 3+ MB/s.
    Hi
    This is normal when a Tumbleweed release is propagating to the mirrors due to the repo data needing to be synced, then packages. You need to be patient, go outside find something to do that's no computer related.....

If you keep an eye on the factory mailing list you will see an automated mail arrive, wait some hours then look at dupping;
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00374.html
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I think it gets the repo information directly from the main download site. But the packages can be retrieved from mirrors.

Once you get to the stage of using mirrors, it goes faster.

I notice the same with updates. Getting the metadata is very slow, but it speed up once it begins to download RPMs.
    Same here .
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

@malcolmlewis is right. We "see" the updates as soon as the new TW gets released ( it's actually a release on every update ). So we start updating, but before the mirrors have been synced, so we're all pulling our updates from the same host.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht