Thread: SMB4K stopped working after recent updates

Question SMB4K stopped working after recent updates

Having been away for 9 days I came back and found quite a large number of updates which I have installed. After rebooting I now discover that SMB4K has stopped working properly, I am using V4 btw. It was working fine before I went away but following on from all these recent updates I did yesterday it now does not.

It opens as usual and I can scan the network and find my workgroup, it is when I try to scan the workgroup things go wrong. For a start it usually asks for a user and password but nothing in that window shows what this user and password is for, no matter which one I use the workgroup name disappears and I have to scan network again to see it. This time if I try to scan it I dont see the user/pass window and the workgroup just disappears, occasionally it seg faults as well. The other strange thing is that if I hover over the workgroup name the master browser shows as my windows 7 PC and Linux has not re-claimed the master ownership after booting up, despite the relevan OS setting being in the smb.conf file.

Now Samba is working OK as I can use the smb:// protocol in Dolphin and open a share on my lan just fine.

Does anyone else see this issue? Has anyone any idea as to what might be wrong here?

Stuart

Default Re: SMB4K stopped working after recent updates

Tested a bit more and it seems that the Network Neighbourhood part is not working but if I do a network search I can find the shares (well at least some of them) and mount them. The only shares which dont show up are on a Windows 7 PC but I can access them via the smb:// protocol on Dolphin.

Stuart

I should have said v1.2.1 in the first part of this thread not V4 !!

Stuart

As I had this issue on my laptop as well as the desktop I decided to downlevel the Samba update which was included in the updates I did at the weekend and now I have SMB4K working again perfectly. So there is either a bug or an incompatibility in Samba.

The 4.2.4-15.1 wont work but 4.2.4-12.1 works fine on the laptop, however it seems to have a problem communicating with my desktop which is still at 4.2.4-15.1 so it seems there is a problem with the 15.1 suffix version. I'll now downlevel my desktop and see if they work together again.

Stuart

Now both laptop and desktop run the 12.1 suffix version of Samba they both work fine with SMB4K and communicate with each other correctly.

So do I file a bug report on this?

Stuart

One other thing I have found from the nmb log file is that when running the 15.1 suffix version of Samba no master browser election was forced with the then current master (my Windows 7 laptop) until such time as I downleveled to the 12.1 suffix version, previously before the update the election happened each time Linux was rebooted.

Stuart

Stuart,

Same problem here. I though it might be the SAMBA update, as your subsequent post indicates. I'll try back levelling to the earlier SAMBA version.
    I did find an alternative to SMB4K: smbnetfs,which mounts a Network Neighbourhood work alike folder in your location of choice.
    Obviously, smbnetfs is a different philosophy from SMB4K. It also took more than a trivial amount of tinkering to get it working.
    I'll see if I can get SMB4K working again. If so I'll probably go back to it, but keep smbnetfs on tap if needed again.

Any time SAMBA has "issues", I worry as I have a very non homogeneous network and SAMBA is a critical part of the the glue that ties it all together.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    Having been away for 9 days I came back and found quite a large number of updates which I have installed. After rebooting I now discover that SMB4K has stopped working properly, I am using V4 btw. It was working fine before I went away but following on from all these recent updates I did yesterday it now does not.

It opens as usual and I can scan the network and find my workgroup, it is when I try to scan the workgroup things go wrong. For a start it usually asks for a user and password but nothing in that window shows what this user and password is for, no matter which one I use the workgroup name disappears and I have to scan network again to see it. This time if I try to scan it I dont see the user/pass window and the workgroup just disappears, occasionally it seg faults as well. The other strange thing is that if I hover over the workgroup name the master browser shows as my windows 7 PC and Linux has not re-claimed the master ownership after booting up, despite the relevan OS setting being in the smb.conf file.

Now Samba is working OK as I can use the smb:// protocol in Dolphin and open a share on my lan just fine.

Does anyone else see this issue? Has anyone any idea as to what might be wrong here?

Stuart

Having asked on the SMB4K support group about this problem it transpires that the net rap server domain -S <your_master_browser> command fails to return a list of machines in the workgroup (or domain), so I've opened a new thread because the issue is with Samba and not SMB4K. See https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/517316-Issue-with-Samba-4-2-4-15-1-net-rap-server-domain-S <your_master_browser> command-fails

Stuart