Font installation does not work

Hi there,

I tried to install some True Type Fonts on my PC using the applications “Settings/Font/Font Managment” option **"+ Add…"

**Each try is followed by the appearance of a message window "ERROR Backend died, but has been restarted. Please try again. " and no single new font got installed.

Of course any further try ends up in the same error window …

Is that a bug or is the number of fonts in Leap limited ?

Someone else with the same problem ?

Joe

Which settings?
KDE’s systemsettings5 (“Configure Desktop”) or what?

Is that a bug or is the number of fonts in Leap limited ?

Works fine here, and no, the number of fonts is not limited.

Are you trying to install as “System Fonts”? Then you should actually be asked for the root password. Is polkit-kde-agent-5 installed and running?

ps ux |grep polkit

Maybe the root password prompt is hidden behind other windows?

Try to install as “Personal Font” instead, this should work in any case.
Or run systemsettings5 as root, with “kdesu systemsettings5”.

Actually you don’t need any special application to “install” fonts anyway, just copy them to ~/.fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts/ or /usr/share/fonts/…

1. So KDE’s systemsettings5 (“Configure Desktop”) is simply what the KDE menu offers under **Settings/Systemsettings/**Settings/Font/Font Managment", right ?

2. Yes, I want to install it as System Fonts and yes, it asks for the root pw and gets it. Then it throws the error.

3. I don’t know whether this agent is installed. But as the OS offers this option it should be installed, or !?

4. Used in konsole your command line “kdesu systemsettings5” as root and was able to install the fonts … thus the Font Managment application has a bug and does not check its dependencies, as it is not able in user mode to enable the root rights if it should install the fonts as system fonts

Thanks Wolfi for the hint, it solved my problem.

Have a nice weekend , Joe

I don’t know what font you are trying to install but beware there are some defective windows fonts (especially those shipped with win8+)
Do not copy your c:\windows\fonts dir as you will break opensuse just install the fonts you need, installation is quite simple you can use a file manager for that
for local user install just copy the fonts in the ./fonts dir in your home,
for a system wide install copy them in /usr/share/fonts
for that you’d need a superuser file manager to get one run

kdesu dolphin

again be careful what fonts you install

Hm, the KDE menu should not show that at all…

1. Yes, I want to install it as System Fonts and yes, it asks for the root pw and gets it. Then it throws the error.
  1. I don’t know whether this agent is installed. But as the OS offers this option it should be installed, or !?

Yes, if you get asked for the root password, it should be installed and is working.

1. Used in konsole your command line “kdesu systemsettings5” as root and was able to install the fonts … thus the Font Managment application has a bug and does not check its dependencies, as it is not able in user mode to enable the root rights if it should install the fonts as system fonts

That’s nothing to do with “dependencies”.

If run as user, it starts a small helper that is running as root (that’s why you have to enter the root password) and should install the fonts.
And that somehow seems to fail on your system.
As I said, it works fine here.

Hi Wolfi,

ok now I understand the message “background died”. It is the helper which has root rights but has a problem to copy the fonts I selected for whatever reason.

Hi I_A,

thanks for the warning, but the TTF fonts I use were fonts I got with my old Corel Draw versions and I don’t want to miss them. Never used Win8 or Win10 fonts. I still use my old fonts in Corel X5 on my Win7 virtual machine and also with other applications, some of them on my virtual Linux machines, like the Leap 42.1, where I ran into the above mentioned problem.

Thanks again and have both a great day, Joe