Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buggy GTK look on KDE

Default Buggy GTK look on KDE

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if someone can point me in right direction.

After installing Tumbleweed, I ran "Virtual Machine Manager", currently at version 1.3.2.
    At first, it was displayed fine.

I didn't felt like creating new virtual computer at the moment so I exited.
    Next time I ran it, the screen was messed up (Image at imgur).
    No spacing between menu items, no button borders, message disappearing if I try to click on checkboxes, and so on.
    I tried restarting the program, and computer, but that didn't help.

I tried googling and searching the forum for "gtk gui cache" and "virtual machine manager cache", figuring that if I delete it, it might work.

I couldn't find much.

Later, I tried running eclipse ee (Mars 4.5.2), and saw the same thing (Image at imgur).
    No spacing, button borders missing and so on.

I really don't feel like reinstalling openSuse once again, so I would be grateful if someone can point me in right direction on what to delete/refresh so it would start behaving normal again.

Kind regards,
    Ranko

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buggy GTK look on KDE

I see this too, mainly in gtk2 applications, a.o. easytag. From what it looks like the settings in KDE's GTK-modules don't have any effect. I thought this was due to my install ( added GNOME 3.20 last week ), but it seems something else is going on.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I'm seeing this too, in pavucontrol and pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk (at least).
    I tried changing the setting in the "GTK applications style" tab of System Settings, but there was no change at all in the application window.
    I am using plasma 5.6.1.

Code:
    cristiano@xmper8q3:~> lsb_release -a
    LSB Version:    core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64:desktop-4.0-amd64:desktop-4.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-amd64:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.2-amd64:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch
    Distributor ID: openSUSE
    Description:    openSUSE Tumbleweed (20160117) (x86_64)
    Release:        20160117
    Codename:       Tumbleweed
    Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

I fiddled a bit with lxappearance till I got something reasonable. But now I dont see the scroll box within the scroll bars in firefox and thunderbird.

Plasma creates a .gtkrc2.0 in /home/user
    Maybe you can try customizing it from there.

I see it here on xfce 4.12
    Every time I login to plasma5 it destroys my xfce 4.12 styles
    so as soon as I login to xfce I delete the .gtkrc2.0 created
    by plasma 5 in my /home/user to revert back my xfce setup.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

If that can help, it seems that from Plasma 5.5 to 5.6, the package breeze-gtk was split and renamed "gtk2-metatheme-breeze" and "gtk3-metatheme-breeze".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flyos View Post
    If that can help, it seems that from Plasma 5.5 to 5.6, the package breeze-gtk was split and renamed "gtk2-metatheme-breeze" and "gtk3-metatheme-breeze".
    Not exactly. GNOME 3.20 doesn't support theming engines anymore. AFAIK these packages are new. They might use some of the same files though. All in all this is not related to Plasma changes, but rather to GNOME moving to 3.20 in TW.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Plasma creates a .gtkrc2.0 in /home/user
    Maybe you can try customizing it from there.

I see it here on xfce 4.12
    Every time I login to plasma5 it destroys my xfce 4.12 styles
    so as soon as I login to xfce I delete the .gtkrc2.0 created
    by plasma 5 in my /home/user to revert back my xfce setup.
    Uninstall kde-gtk-config5, that creates that config according to KDE's settings at login.
    Or set what you like in systemsettings5->Application Appearance->GTK.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Not exactly. GNOME 3.20 doesn't support theming engines anymore.
    GTK3 doesn't support theming engines since 3.16, that's why gtk-oxygen doesn't work anymore.
    But the "breeze" theme does not use a theming engine.

But, in GTK 3.20, they again made incompatible changes that break existing themes.
    The breeze theme has not been adjusted yet, see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361066

AFAIK these packages are new. They might use some of the same files though. All in all this is not related to Plasma changes, but rather to GNOME moving to 3.20 in TW.
    breeze-gtk was an old, inofficial theme actually named "breezyGTK".

gtk2-metatheme-breeze and gtk3-metatheme-breeze are a new, official breeze theme for GTK.

In Leap 42.1, we still only have one package breeze-gtk, which contains the new theme though. This was done to not having to introduce new packages in a released product, and to prevent update problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    In Leap 42.1, we still only have one package breeze-gtk, which contains the new theme though. This was done to not having to introduce new packages in a released product, and to prevent update problems.
    Just to note this is not the case in the KDE Frameworks repo, which was updated to 5.6. It's worth mentioning...

(I blocked breeze-gtk version for a while before realising the new availability of the above packages! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast