Thread: opensuse 13.2 substitution for bcrypt or ccrypt

Default opensuse 13.2 substitution for bcrypt or ccrypt

Hello,

In windows, I used PGP to create sda files when I wanted to do a simple password based encryption of a file. I have used both bcrypt and ccrypt for that purpose in linux, but it looks like opensuse 13.2 doesn't have either of those applications available. At any rate, I couldn't find either one in yast or software.opensuse.org.

I notice that KGpg is installed by default. Is that the standard tool for doing simple encryption in opensuse with kde? There are quite a few encryption packages available through yast, but I don't have any experience with any of them so I would appreciate some advice about a simple command line tool that is similar to bcrypt/ccrypt. Please let me know if you think it makes more sense to just use the KGpg implementation in dolphin. If so, is it reasonable to use KGpg from the command line if necessary?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Blog Entries

Default Re: opensuse 13.2 substitution for bcrypt or ccrypt

The last time either of these 2 apps were updated was in 2012/2013.
    I doubt either of these two apps has any real dependency if so it also likely means that their algorithms are that old.

If you really want to use either of them, I'd guess that you can simply download and run them without a problem on any Linux
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/bcrypt/files/
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ccrypt/files/

I don't personally encrypt files individually(I prefere encrypted partitions which is a more convenient local solution although the encrypted files are not portable) but I imagine gpg or even zip and tar should password encrypt files just fine and likely use updated algorithms.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Not sure if this is the old version, but it may help.

https://software.opensuse.org/packag...ch_term=ccrypt
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMHmedchem View Post
    I notice that KGpg is installed by default. Is that the standard tool for doing simple encryption in opensuse with kde?
    GnuPG (or "gpg") is installed by default. That's the standard command line tool for encryption that is compatible with PGP, though perhaps it depends on algorithm used as to how compatible.

Kgpg is a GUI front end to make it easier to use "gpg".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

I can use Kgpg from the right click menu in dolphin and that seems like a good option. This is key based, so you have to create keys and is not as simple as bcrypt, but it's simple enough. I also appear to have Kleopatra available by right click. I'm not sure that I need both of these, but oddly, Kleopatra does not appear anywhere in the YaST package manager. If I do a search on Kleopatra, I don't get any results. The package must have a different name.

Is there some rational for using one of these applications preferentially to the other?

Do they both need to be here, meaning should I uninstall the one I don't go ahead and use?

LMHmedchem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMHmedchem View Post
    I also appear to have Kleopatra available by right click. I'm not sure that I need both of these, but oddly, Kleopatra does not appear anywhere in the YaST package manager. If I do a search on Kleopatra, I don't get any results. The package must have a different name.
    I also have kleopatra. I don't think this is new.

Ok, I'm running Leap 42.1. So I brought up Yast Software Manager, and searched for "kleopatra". There is a package, but it isn't installed.

So I checked the box for "search in file list" and repeated the search. It seems that the kleopatra command that I am seeing is part of "kdepim4" (perhaps called only "kdepim" on 13.2).

Is there some rational for using one of these applications preferentially to the other?
    In my experience, they do about the same. Given that it was pulled in by "kdepim", I would guess that "kmail" wants to be able to call it. Of the two, I prefer "kgpg".

In any case, it is harmless to leave both installed.

On further checking, the package I see is "kleopatra5". So it is probably for use with "kmail5". I guess they broke it out from "kdepim" and made it a separate package. If I try to install, then Yast wants to uninstall "kdepim4".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;