Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Calendar Widget

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    817

    Default Calendar Widget

    Upgrading one of my boxes from 13.2 to 42.1 was a pleasant experience. Tidying up was done for many applications. Regarding the calendar this went too far. Holidays, week and day numbers which were displayed by 13.2 are now gone. They are badly missing. I would like to to have some basic functionality I had for more than six decades as shown here: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/t...=calendar.jpeg What options are available with Leap 42.1?
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  2. #2

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Regarding the calendar this went too far. Holidays, week and day numbers which were displayed by 13.2 are now gone. They are badly missing.
    This had to be removed in Plasma5 because Akonadi/KDEPIM was not available yet in a KF5 version.
    It is meanwhile, and the necessary functionality is in Plasma again as well.

    What's still missing is plugins for the calendar that actually show any events.
    AFAIK, they should be back in 5.7, for holidays at least.

    KOrganizer itself and its Reminder module should work fine though.
    You have the old KDE4 version installed by default (4.14.10), but if you want to you could also switch to the latest KF5 version (15.12.3).

    I doubt that you are using KDE (or even a graphical user interface on your computer) since more than six decades though...
    Your paper calendar should still be available...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 05-Apr-2016 at 03:13.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    This had to be removed in Plasma5 because Akonadi/KDEPIM was not available yet in a KF5 version.
    It is meanwhile, and the necessary functionality is in Plasma again as well.

    What's still missing is plugins for the calendar that actually show any events.
    AFAIK, they should be back in 5.7, for holidays at least.

    KOrganizer itself and its Reminder module should work fine though.
    You have the old KDE4 version installed by default (4.14.10), but if you want to you could also switch to the latest KF5 version (15.12.3).
    Tried to use "KOrganizer Version 4.14.10 Unter KDE 4.14.18" and ran into a problem. KOrganizer > Settings> Calendar tells me "Persönlicher Kalender" is already added and ready. But selecting "Neuer Termin" shows no Calendar at all and displays the message "Wählen Sie zuerst eine gültige Sammlung". When trying to do so I can see nothing appropriate in the menu offered.

    I doubt that you are using KDE (or even a graphical user interface on your computer) since more than six decades though... Your paper calendar should still be available...
    It is available. I thought of stopping this old habit of mine to buy one since being retired. However now I think it is vital to have one. All calendars I used since ever, whether on paper or in the computer had the same basic information. That changed with Plasma 5.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Tried to use "KOrganizer Version 4.14.10 Unter KDE 4.14.18" and ran into a problem. KOrganizer > Settings> Calendar tells me "Persönlicher Kalender" is already added and ready. But selecting "Neuer Termin" shows no Calendar at all and displays the message "Wählen Sie zuerst eine gültige Sammlung". When trying to do so I can see nothing appropriate in the menu offered.
    Make sure it is active (i.e. it has an enabled checkbox) in the list of calendars on the left.

    Another thing: week numbers are available in Plasma5, they are just disabled by default.
    Right-click on the digital clock and choose "Digital Clock Settings" to enable them.

    Day numbers should be displayed in any case, otherwise the display would be rather empty. Or am I misunderstanding you?

    Again, the only thing (to my knowledge) that's not available at the moment is showing Akonadi events and holidays. This will return in 5.7 AFAIK.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Make sure it is active (i.e. it has an enabled checkbox) in the list of calendars on the left.
    I am puzzled, Persönlicher Kalender is shown "active" in the settings dialog: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/t...405_223019.png However it does not show up in the calendar: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/#img=Screenshot_20160405_223036.png

    Another thing: week numbers are available in Plasma5, they are just disabled by default. Right-click on the digital clock and choose "Digital Clock Settings" to enable them.
    I managed to display them.

    Day numbers should be displayed in any case, otherwise the display would be rather empty. Or am I misunderstanding you?
    Day numbers are running from 1 to 366 in this year. Today is #96.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    I am puzzled, Persönlicher Kalender is shown "active" in the settings dialog: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/t...405_223019.png However it does not show up in the calendar: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/#img=Screenshot_20160405_223036.png
    Now that's strange, it should look similar to this:

    Is the "Calendar Management" sidebar activated (in the "Settings" menu)? It seems to be there though, just empty.
    Do they appear when you quit Kontact/KOrganizer and start it again?

    Try to add a new calendar.
    If that doesn't work either, try on a fresh user account and see whether it works there.

    You should be able to display holidays without an active calendar (choose the region in the settings, "Time and Date") but then you won't be able to add own events of course.

    One option would also be to upgrade to the latest korganizer5 (15.12.3), it is available in the standard repos.

    Day numbers are running from 1 to 366 in this year. Today is #96.
    Ah, ok, that's what you mean.
    Well, that never was supported in KDE's (Plasma's) calendar widget, not even in KDE4.

    KOrganizer does support that as well though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 05-Apr-2016 at 14:13.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Now that's strange, it should look similar to this:

    Is the "Calendar Management" sidebar activated (in the "Settings" menu)? It seems to be there though, just empty.
    Do they appear when you quit Kontact/KOrganizer and start it again?

    Try to add a new calendar. If that doesn't work either, try on a fresh user account and see whether it works there.
    It works with a pristine account, but it does not with an old one. I already deleted 'kontact*' folder and file to no avail.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  8. #8

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    It works with a pristine account, but it does not with an old one. I already deleted 'kontact*' folder and file to no avail.
    Kontact is just a shell for the single applications (kmail, korganizer, kaddressbook, ...)

    You could try to delete ~/.kde4/share/config/korganizerrc instead.
    Or ~/.kde4/share/apps/korganizer/, but that basically just contains the calendar data, which shouldn't cause that problem.

    KOrganizer is using Akonadi though, the actual calendar configuration needs to be done there.
    The config files are ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi_xxx_resourceYrc. But it's probably no good idea to just delete them all.

    Again, does adding a new calendar help?

    Here's a guide how to reset Akonadi to zero, if you have nothing to loose and want to try from a clean state:
    https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdepi...migration.html
    You can skip the part about reconfiguring kmail of course, the first3 paragraphs are enough and will reset Akonadi completely (including creating a default calendar and addressbook).
    PS: if you do this, you wouldn't even loose any data (unless you deleted ~/.kde4/share/apps/korganizer/), and the default resources should even use the same data files again. You would need to create/setup any additional Akonadi resources again that you might have created before, though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 05-Apr-2016 at 15:04.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Kontact is just a shell for the single applications (kmail, korganizer, kaddressbook, ...)

    You could try to delete ~/.kde4/share/config/korganizerrc instead. Or ~/.kde4/share/apps/korganizer/, but that basically just contains the calendar data, which shouldn't cause that problem.
    I also deleted "korganizer*" with no success. However calendars started working when restarting them in the configure dialog.

    Here's a guide how to reset Akonadi to zero, if you have nothing to loose and want to try from a clean state: https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdepi...migration.html
    I experienced some nasty problems when using kmail with Leap 42.1. E.g. saving a draft actually closed the editor window and did not save the draft. Thus I decided to do a clean start as proposed.

    This fixed the problem with saving the draft. However message drafts are now saved to 'Local Folders' and not to 'Local Folders/drafts' as they were when using openSUSE 13.2. Any idea how to fix this?
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10

    Default Re: Calendar Widget

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    However message drafts are now saved to 'Local Folders' and not to 'Local Folders/drafts' as they were when using openSUSE 13.2. Any idea how to fix this?
    Which folder to use for drafts is configurable per identity in the identity settings.
    In KMail's menu: Settings->Configure KMail->Identities, select the corresponding one (you probably have only one anyway) and click on Edit, you can set the folders for sent mail, drafts, and templates on the "Advanced" tab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •