Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    101

    Default Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Hello Folks,

    I'm wondering if anyone is having this problem with the new iteration of gnome 3.20 in Tumbleweed. It seems that when I try to open Files (nautilus) it will not open when I press the icon. I can open it using the terminal, but get this message:

    (nautilus:9009): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist

    I realize that all the bugs are probably not worked out yet and a patch or update may be sent out. Any suggestions on a fix? I couldn't really find any solutions during my searches.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,669
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Hi
    That's just a warning, shouldn't stop nautilus from opening... If you fire up gnome-terminal and run the nautilus command, what output do you get?

    Just tested here and see the warning, but it does open and work from either the overview icon or terminal.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Thanks malcolmlewis.

    I hope I'm providing you with the correct response. I opened up the Terminal as root and entered the nautilus command.
    This is what I got:

    Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
    Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
    Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
    Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
    Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)

    (nautilus:11082): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist

    (nautilus:11082): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

    (nautilus:11082): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

    (nautilus:11082): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

    (nautilus:11082): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

    (nautilus:11082): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,669
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Ahh, your trying to run as root (I did wonder... ), not as logging into the desktop, or just via a terminal, if via a terminal are you using su - why not just start with gnomesu?

    Or are you after a desktop file for your user?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Actually, I hardly ever log in to nautilus as root and when I do I always use gnomesu. Nautilus won't open as a regular user.

    I have a feeling I'm not giving you the info you want or following your instructions properly.
    How exactly do I give you the info you are asking for?...Sometimes I can be a little dense.

    Anyway, here it is using gnomesu.

    (gnomesu:11864): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window
    Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

    (nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Errororg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

    (nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,669
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
    Actually, I hardly ever log in to nautilus as root and when I do I always use gnomesu. Nautilus won't open as a regular user.

    I have a feeling I'm not giving you the info you want or following your instructions properly.
    How exactly do I give you the info you are asking for?...Sometimes I can be a little dense.

    Anyway, here it is using gnomesu.

    (gnomesu:11864): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window
    Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

    (nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Errororg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

    (nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist
    Hi
    You comment "I opened up the Terminal as root ..." confused me

    OK, so just to confirm, you press the files icon (aka Nautilus) in the overview and it won't start. You open a gnome-terminal and run the nautilus command and again it won't start. Or is it in the terminal you see errors, but it does open?

    If you create a test user and login, does the issue replicate? This will confirm either a system issue or a user issue.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Thanks malcolmlewis not a problem. I often, confuse myself.

    When I press the icon it will not open. If I use the terminal and type in "nautilus" it will open, and I will get the warning messages, which as you have mentioned are okay.

    Is the Terminal different than gnome-terminal?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,669
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
    Thanks malcolmlewis not a problem. I often, confuse myself.

    When I press the icon it will not open. If I use the terminal and type in "nautilus" it will open, and I will get the warning messages, which as you have mentioned are okay.

    Is the Terminal different than gnome-terminal?

    Thanks
    Hi
    gnome-terminal/terminal are the same thing

    OK, so something funky with the desktop item. If you go into overview and in the search type nau and Files should pop up, click on that, does it work? If so then in overview right-click on the menu item and remove 'Files' from favorites and then re-add via the previous search.

    If not, then sounds like something has not indexed, is /usr/share/applications/nautilus-classic.desktop present?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    @malcolmlewis

    Okay. Your suggestions to open nautilus made me think about the way"I" open Apps.

    I usually open all my gnome Apps by right clicking on the App in the Dash and choosing "New Window". For some reason Nautilus does not open up that way, but works just fine when I just left click on the App. So I guess
    that my dilemma isn't really that much of a dilemma and maybe not really on at all.

    It did used to work that way, I think...sorry.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,669
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
    @malcolmlewis

    Okay. Your suggestions to open nautilus made me think about the way"I" open Apps.

    I usually open all my gnome Apps by right clicking on the App in the Dash and choosing "New Window". For some reason Nautilus does not open up that way, but works just fine when I just left click on the App. So I guess
    that my dilemma isn't really that much of a dilemma and maybe not really on at all.

    It did used to work that way, I think...sorry.
    Hi
    Ahh, OK, confirmed it's not working with the new window method. Checking with my Gnome contacts...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •