Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

Default Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

Hello Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone is having this problem with the new iteration of gnome 3.20 in Tumbleweed. It seems that when I try to open Files (nautilus) it will not open when I press the icon. I can open it using the terminal, but get this message:

(nautilus:9009): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist

I realize that all the bugs are probably not worked out yet and a patch or update may be sent out. Any suggestions on a fix? I couldn't really find any solutions during my searches.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nautilus will not open in gnome 3.20

Hi
    That's just a warning, shouldn't stop nautilus from opening... If you fire up gnome-terminal and run the nautilus command, what output do you get?

Just tested here and see the warning, but it does open and work from either the overview icon or terminal.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thanks malcolmlewis.

I hope I'm providing you with the correct response. I opened up the Terminal as root and entered the nautilus command.
    This is what I got:

Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)

(nautilus:11082): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist

(nautilus:11082): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:11082): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:11082): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Blog Entries

Ahh, your trying to run as root (I did wonder... ), not as logging into the desktop, or just via a terminal, if via a terminal are you using su - why not just start with gnomesu?

Or are you after a desktop file for your user?

Actually, I hardly ever log in to nautilus as root and when I do I always use gnomesu. Nautilus won't open as a regular user.

I have a feeling I'm not giving you the info you want or following your instructions properly.
    How exactly do I give you the info you are asking for?...Sometimes I can be a little dense.

Anyway, here it is using gnomesu.

(gnomesu:11864): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window
    Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Errororg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
    Actually, I hardly ever log in to nautilus as root and when I do I always use gnomesu. Nautilus won't open as a regular user.

I have a feeling I'm not giving you the info you want or following your instructions properly.
    How exactly do I give you the info you are asking for?...Sometimes I can be a little dense.

Anyway, here it is using gnomesu.

(gnomesu:11864): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window
    Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

(nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Errororg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(nautilus:11873): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <broken file>:1:0: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/libgd/tagged-entry/default.css' does not exist
    Hi
    You comment "I opened up the Terminal as root ..." confused me

OK, so just to confirm, you press the files icon (aka Nautilus) in the overview and it won't start. You open a gnome-terminal and run the nautilus command and again it won't start. Or is it in the terminal you see errors, but it does open?

If you create a test user and login, does the issue replicate? This will confirm either a system issue or a user issue.

Thanks malcolmlewis not a problem. I often, confuse myself.

When I press the icon it will not open. If I use the terminal and type in "nautilus" it will open, and I will get the warning messages, which as you have mentioned are okay.

Is the Terminal different than gnome-terminal?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Thanks malcolmlewis not a problem. I often, confuse myself.

When I press the icon it will not open. If I use the terminal and type in "nautilus" it will open, and I will get the warning messages, which as you have mentioned are okay.

Is the Terminal different than gnome-terminal?

Thanks
    Hi
    gnome-terminal/terminal are the same thing

OK, so something funky with the desktop item. If you go into overview and in the search type nau and Files should pop up, click on that, does it work? If so then in overview right-click on the menu item and remove 'Files' from favorites and then re-add via the previous search.

If not, then sounds like something has not indexed, is /usr/share/applications/nautilus-classic.desktop present?

@malcolmlewis

Okay. Your suggestions to open nautilus made me think about the way"I" open Apps.

I usually open all my gnome Apps by right clicking on the App in the Dash and choosing "New Window". For some reason Nautilus does not open up that way, but works just fine when I just left click on the App. So I guess
    that my dilemma isn't really that much of a dilemma and maybe not really on at all.

It did used to work that way, I think...sorry.

Blog Entries

@malcolmlewis

Okay. Your suggestions to open nautilus made me think about the way"I" open Apps.

I usually open all my gnome Apps by right clicking on the App in the Dash and choosing "New Window". For some reason Nautilus does not open up that way, but works just fine when I just left click on the App. So I guess
    that my dilemma isn't really that much of a dilemma and maybe not really on at all.

It did used to work that way, I think...sorry.
    Hi
    Ahh, OK, confirmed it's not working with the new window method. Checking with my Gnome contacts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast