Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    I've had a situation for a few weeks when trying to back up my home directory on TUMBLEWEED.
    This in entirely new behaviour of rsync. I've been using this method for years to back up my home directory to a USB attached drive.
    It starts out normally then just stops. It's claiming no space left on device when I finally hit CTRL-C because it's obviously stopped. It has 575.4 GB free of 931.3 GB.

    The command I've always used is
    Code:
     rsync -av /home/flamebait /run/media/flamebait/BACKUP/flamebait/ 


    This is the error I see when I do a CTRL-C
    Code:
    flamebait/.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/f_0b629a
    ^Crsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(636) [sender=3.1.2]
    rsync: mkstemp "/run/media/flamebait/BACKUP/flamebait/flamebait/.15:46.png.u2GFyd" failed: Invalid argument (22)
    rsync: mkstemp "/run/media/flamebait/BACKUP/flamebait/flamebait/.3:.jpg.12goj0" failed: Invalid argument (22)
    rsync: mkstemp "/run/media/flamebait/BACKUP/flamebait/flamebait/.WTF?.jpg.uA71fA" failed: Invalid argument (22)
    rsync: mkstemp "/run/media/flamebait/BACKUP/flamebait/flamebait/.flash.asp?id=84712.vzlotn" failed: Invalid argument (22)
    rsync: rename "/run/media/flamebait/BACKUP/flamebait/flamebait/.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/.f_0988e9.6pWqiL" -> "flamebait/.cache/google-chrome/Default/Cache/f_0988e9": No space left on device (28)
    How do I overcome this situation? This always used to work for backing up home. This is obviously new behaviour for me. I haven't been able to back op my /home for weeks and I'm getting nervous about no recent backups.



    Tumbleweed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,378

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlameBait View Post
    I It has 575.4 GB free of 931.3 GB.
    We of course want to see the statement and it's output that gave you that information (df -h or otherwise?)
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    We of course want to see the statement and it's output that gave you that information (df -h or otherwise?)
    I'm not clear of what you mean? I've pasted the output I see.
    The rest were just a bunch of messages about being out of space.
    It's not giving me a lot of information. It just stopped behaving as it normally has for years.
    Tumbleweed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    455

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    We want to see the command that gave you the result of: "It has 575.4 GB free of 931.3 GB."
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,874
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    After you see that error message:

    1. Is the external drive still mounted?
    2. Can you write to the external drive (say, using "touch" to create a tiny file?


    There's a possibility of a drive error causing the drive to be remounted as read-only, or even to have it seen on a different device name. You need to eliminate such possibilities before deciding that it is "rsync" rather than hardware. (The newer kernel might be fussier about the hardware).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    This is what I am doing.
    I plug the drive in and mount it with the device notifier in KDE Plasma
    I open the drive using Dolphin.
    I open a terminal in Dolphin from the tools drop down
    I put my rsync command in on that terminal window.

    I don't know how to get the drive size and free space from the command line I don't use the command line much. The information I have about the drive come from the properties you can get from right clicking on the folder.
    His is a picture. of the information I took with spectacle. I cropped it so It's just that popup.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...GQ0bGxMT05xTkU
    Tumbleweed

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    After you see that error message:

    1. Is the external drive still mounted?
    2. Can you write to the external drive (say, using "touch" to create a tiny file?


    There's a possibility of a drive error causing the drive to be remounted as read-only, or even to have it seen on a different device name. You need to eliminate such possibilities before deciding that it is "rsync" rather than hardware. (The newer kernel might be fussier about the hardware).
    It writes to the drive then just stop after a period of time without completing the rsync process.
    Yes I can copy a file to and from the USB drive.
    It's as if some process that's not part of rsync is stopping the rsync transfer and the error I'm am getting may be entirely wrong because that process that stops the transfer interferes with the rsync process.
    Tumbleweed

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,378

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlameBait View Post
    The information I have about the drive come from the properties you can get from right clicking on the folder.
    Thank you. That is an explanation. We are very sceptical in believing information that just falls out of the blue. We always want to know why you say something. To say it bluntly, we do not believe people, we believe computers

    BTW
    Code:
    df -h
    will tel you those things not spoiled by any GUI interpretation.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,378

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlameBait View Post
    His is a picture. of the information I took with spectacle. I cropped it so It's just that popup.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...GQ0bGxMT05xTkU
    That does not display on my system. Possibly because it is some Google site and I block most scripts. Please do not expect that all people trust Google.

    This might be a better place: http://paste.opensuse.org/
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taft, Republic of California. UTC -8
    Posts
    1,474

    Default Re: rsync failing on TUMBLEWEED on USB attached drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Thank you. That is an explanation. We are very sceptical in believing information that just falls out of the blue. We always want to know why you say something. To say it bluntly, we do not believe people, we believe computers

    BTW
    Code:
    df -h
    will tel you those things not spoiled by any GUI interpretation.
    /dev/sdb1 is the USB Drive

    Code:
    flamebait@flamebait:/run/media/flamebait/BACKUP> df -h
    Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                 5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    5.9G   29M  5.9G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                    5.9G  2.5M  5.9G   1% /run
    tmpfs                    5.9G     0  5.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda2                 20G  9.0G   10G  48% /
    /dev/sda3                436G  163G  251G  40% /home
    192.168.1.9:/nfs          50M  6.2M   44M  13% /nfs
    192.168.1.9:/nfs/Movies  3.6T  2.5T  1.2T  70% /nfs/Movies
    tmpfs                    1.2G   28K  1.2G   1% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sdb1                932G  356G  576G  39% /run/media/flamebait/BACKUP



    Tumbleweed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •