Thread: I closed the <username>/desktop icon field and can't get it back

Default I closed the <username>/desktop icon field and can't get it back

Hello,

I have been trying to make some adjustments to my desktop (opensuse 13.2) and clicked on the X on the toolbar for the large pane on the desktop that contains the launchers from the folder /desktop. I can't seem to find any way to get this back. Is there a good write-up somewhere discussing how all of these desktop features work? I can't seem to figure out the difference between launcher icons that are on the desktop and in a field like the folder /desktop. It doesn't seem like you can just "add launcher" like you used to be able to do and it is pretty frustrating to not be able to make these very simple configurations. I have goggled for a couple of hours without finding a tutorial that is helpful with this stuff.

LMHmedchem

Default Re: I closed the <username>/desktop icon field and can't get it back

Quote Originally Posted by LMHmedchem View Post
    the toolbar for the large pane on the desktop that contains the launchers from the folder /desktop.
    Are you talking about the Folder View widget? If so, then minimize all applications to show your desktop (try pressing Ctrl+F12), right-click and select "Unlock Widgets", right-click again and select "Add Widgets...". In the panel that pops up, find Folder View and drag it to your desktop.

Lee

Default Re: I closed the <username>/desktop icon field and can't get it back

Quote Originally Posted by tleedavidson View Post
    Are you talking about the Folder View widget? If so, then minimize all applications to show your desktop (try pressing Ctrl+F12), right-click and select "Unlock Widgets", right-click again and select "Add Widgets...". In the panel that pops up, find Folder View and drag it to your desktop.
    Thanks for the help. I can't find anything even remotely close to "Folder View" in add widgets. When I search on "Folder View", I get nothing.

If I search on "Folder", I get two options; "Folder, display the contents of a folder", "Quick Access, a menu that lists files in a given folder".

Is one of these the widget that you are referring to. I'm not sure if I have plasma 4 or 5 and I'm not sure how to check.

I would really like to just be able to create a single desktop launcher like you could right-click "add launcher" in gnome. I have a few individual launchers, but I have no idea how to create a generic one and then add the appropriate command to get it to do what I need. For instance, I would really like to have a firefox launcher that would open a specified url. This is the sort of thing that was very easy to do in windows and gnome and I can't seem to find the right documentation to explain how to do the same thing in kde. In what location are the desktop icons stored? That would be a good place to start.

LMHmedchem