I closed the <username>/desktop icon field and can't get it back

Hello,

I have been trying to make some adjustments to my desktop (opensuse 13.2) and clicked on the X on the toolbar for the large pane on the desktop that contains the launchers from the folder /desktop. I can’t seem to find any way to get this back. Is there a good write-up somewhere discussing how all of these desktop features work? I can’t seem to figure out the difference between launcher icons that are on the desktop and in a field like the folder /desktop. It doesn’t seem like you can just “add launcher” like you used to be able to do and it is pretty frustrating to not be able to make these very simple configurations. I have goggled for a couple of hours without finding a tutorial that is helpful with this stuff.

LMHmedchem

Are you talking about the Folder View widget? If so, then minimize all applications to show your desktop (try pressing Ctrl+F12), right-click and select “Unlock Widgets”, right-click again and select “Add Widgets…”. In the panel that pops up, find Folder View and drag it to your desktop.

Lee

Thanks for the help. I can’t find anything even remotely close to “Folder View” in add widgets. When I search on “Folder View”, I get nothing.

If I search on “Folder”, I get two options; “Folder, display the contents of a folder”, “Quick Access, a menu that lists files in a given folder”.

Is one of these the widget that you are referring to. I’m not sure if I have plasma 4 or 5 and I’m not sure how to check.

I would really like to just be able to create a single desktop launcher like you could right-click “add launcher” in gnome. I have a few individual launchers, but I have no idea how to create a generic one and then add the appropriate command to get it to do what I need. For instance, I would really like to have a firefox launcher that would open a specified url. This is the sort of thing that was very easy to do in windows and gnome and I can’t seem to find the right documentation to explain how to do the same thing in kde. In what location are the desktop icons stored? That would be a good place to start.

LMHmedchem