Thread: KDE Notes widget

Default KDE Notes widget

Wondering how to adjust the size of the Notes widget, either/both as a panel widget, or on the desktop.
    Seems to keep minimizing to a one line note, and having to scroll to other entries (not real easy), but can't figure out how to expand the default view to multiple lines.
    Thanks, John.
    i5/8GB
    openSuse Leap15.1
    KDE Plasma 5.12.8 (and Gnome - In training!)
    Linux Counter 130995

Default Re: KDE Notes widget

You can resize it like any other widget:
    Click on it and hold the mouse button for a second, and the handle bar will appear, including a resize icon.
    That only works on the desktop, I don't think there's a way to resize it when in the panel.

But it really should be bigger than one line by default...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Click on it and hold the mouse button for a second, and the handle bar will appear, i
    Yep, tried that, but from what I can see, this is very fickle.... (read buggy....)
    Might try something else....
    i5/8GB
    openSuse Leap15.1
    Linux Counter 130995

Quote Originally Posted by hornetster View Post
    Yep, tried that, but from what I can see, this is very fickle.... (read buggy....)
    How so?
    Works fine here...

You can switch to the previous behavior (the handles appearing as soon as you move the mouse over a widget, like in KDE4 or Plasma5 5.4 and before) in "Desktop Settings" (right-click on the desktop or left-click on the toolbox icon in the upper-left corner to reach them)->"Tweaks".

Have updated to knotes5, and all seems to be working as expected.... (Previous install - knotes)
    Not sure what is *supposed* to be installed, but believe I was up to the expected patches etc previously for Leap42.1...
    i5/8GB
    openSuse Leap15.1
    Linux Counter 130995

Have updated to knotes5, and all seems to be working as expected.... (Previous install - knotes)
    So you are actually talking about knotes?
    I thought you meant the desktop widget included in Plasma (which is totally unrelated to knotes)...

knotes basically uses standard windows, and you can resize them like any other application window. I.e. grab it in the bottom-right corner and drag it to the wanted size.

Not sure what is *supposed* to be installed, but believe I was up to the expected patches etc previously for Leap42.1...
    kdepim4 is installed by default, because at the time of Leap 42.1's release, it has just been ported to KF5 and was not considered stable yet.
    It won't be switched to the KF5 version in Leap 42.1 automatically either (yet) to not surprise users. E.g. some applications have been dropped in kdepim5, like knode, ktimetracker and kjots.

Meanwhile kdepim5 should be stable though, and it is definitely improved over kdepim4, so as long as you don't depend on the mentioned applications (although kjots5 is available as well meanwhile) it's probably the better choice.

So you are actually talking about knotes?
    I thought you meant the desktop widget included in Plasma (which is totally unrelated to knotes)...
    Not an expert.
    All I know is that I had issues with the original widget in the default panel (as explained previously...), and what fixed it was removing knotes and installing knotes5.
    After I did that, went back into the panel widgets, found the only 'notes' widget, it had changed considerably (different look/functionality, but same or similar icon, and options in the config), and it is now working...
    Thanks.
    i5/8GB
    openSuse Leap15.1
    Linux Counter 130995

All I know is that I had issues with the original widget in the default panel (as explained previously...)
    But there is no "notes widget" in the default panel...

and what fixed it was removing knotes and installing knotes5.
    As I said, then you were likely having a problem with knotes (an application), not the Plasma notes widget.

After I did that, went back into the panel widgets, found the only 'notes' widget, it had changed considerably (different look/functionality, but same or similar icon, and options in the config), and it is now working...
    This is about the Plasma notes widget, which is completely unrelated to knotes, so switching to knotes5 won't have any effect on that at all.
    And of course it looks different and has a different functionality than knotes, as it is not knotes.

Since your problem is solved, it doesn't really matter now though.
    But posting a screenshot can help tremendously in such cases to prevent misunderstandings...

But posting a screenshot can help tremendously in such cases to prevent misunderstandings...

Noted!! (and understand...)
    i5/8GB
    openSuse Leap15.1
    Linux Counter 130995