Thread: Korganizer: "Qt Designer could not be found."

Default Korganizer: "Qt Designer could not be found."

My KOrganizer version 4.14.10, in Settings -> Configure KOrganizer -> Custom Pages, indicates that I need Qt Designer to configure custom pages.
    I find no Qt Designer in YaST; only libraries: libQt5Designer5 and libQt5DesignerComponents5.

I do see a qt3-devel-tools package that includes "designer". But, isn't that for Qt3? Why is it still available?

I also find no Qt Designer in a package search at https://software.opensuse.org/search. Just the same libraries I already have installed.

There are two Qt Development patterns in YaST. "Qt 4 Development" includes "qt-creator" ("LIghtweight IDE") version 3.2.2, and "Qt 5 Development" includes "libqt5-creator" ("LIghtweight IDE") version 3.5.1. (Why does an application have a prefix of "lib"?)

Should I simply install the Qt 5 Development pattern and see if that solves the issue? Or, is there a specific package that I need, and where is it?

Thanks for any help,
    Lee

P.S. My current KOrganizer version was installed by default with my new Leap 42.1 installation. Would there be any issues or benefit to upgrading to KOrganizer5/Kontact5, or is it just a Qt5 port?

Default AW: Korganizer: "Qt Designer could not be found."

Quote Originally Posted by tleedavidson View Post
    My KOrganizer version 4.14.10, in Settings -> Configure KOrganizer -> Custom Pages, indicates that I need Qt Designer to configure custom pages.
    I find no Qt Designer in YaST; only libraries: libQt5Designer5 and libQt5DesignerComponents5.
    As you have the KDE4 version of KOrganizer, you'd need the Qt4 version of Qt Designer, which is included in the package libqt4-devel.
    So try to install that.

I do see a qt3-devel-tools package that includes "designer". But, isn't that for Qt3? Why is it still available?
    Why not?

You need qt3 to be able to run Qt3 applications, and you'd need qt3-devel(-tools) to create/build Qt3 applications.
    They are all part of the same source package, so it's not possible to just ship qt3 without the devel packages either anyway.

P.S. My current KOrganizer version was installed by default with my new Leap 42.1 installation. Would there be any issues or benefit to upgrading to KOrganizer5/Kontact5, or is it just a Qt5 port?
    It is just a Qt5 port, but it has been improved meanwhile as well.
    When Leap 42.1 was released, KDEPIM5 just had its first release shortly before and it was deemed not stable/good enough, so it was decided to better include the KDE4 version instead.

Meanwhile we are at 15.12.2 though (with 15.12.3 coming soon), and the KF5 version is improved in many ways. In particular, it is really much faster...
    But, be aware that there currently are some problems with Courier IMAP servers that have been fixed recently, so you might still want to wait.
    If you switch, it's not guaranteed you can switch back (upgrades are supported, downgrades not).
    In the worst case, wiping out the Akonadi database should work and shouldn't cause dataloss either (as it's just a cache), but there might be some data in there that hasn't been synchronized yet.

Anyway, it is recommended to close all KDEPIM applications and quit akonadi-server ("akonadictl stop" as user) before doing such a switch, to prevent problems.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 01-Apr-2016 at 12:57.

Default Re: Korganizer: "Qt Designer could not be found."

Thank you, Wolfi.

I went ahead and upgraded to KDEPIM5 with no readily apparent problems.

And so, now what package do I need?

After upgrading, KOrganizer5 still told me it could not find Qt Designer. So, I installed the Qt 5 Development pattern.

I can now launch Qt Designer5 from the Application Menu, but KOrganizer is still telling me it cannot find it.

I can now launch Qt Designer5 from the Application Menu, but KOrganizer is still telling me it cannot find it.
    Well, it works fine here on my 13.2 system with KOrganizer 4.14.9 and Qt4's designer included in libqt4-devel.

The Qt5 designer (named designer-qt5 in openSUSE) is in the package libqt5-qttools.

But it seems that KOrganizer just tries to run "designer", while the Qt5 designer is installed as /usr/bin/designer-qt5.
    So either try to install libqt4-devel as well (which contains the Qt4 version as /usr/bin/designer), try to create a symlink (/usr/bin/designer -> /usr/bin/designer-qt5), or add /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/ to the path which does contain a "designer" (which is actually a symlink to designer-qt5).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    But it seems that KOrganizer just tries to run "designer"
    Well I'm still trying to figure out how you determined what command it was trying to call. Perhaps because `strace -e open korganizer` is probably not the correct option to use.

But, I chose to create a symlink. It works just fine now.

Thank you.

Well I'm still trying to figure out how you determined what command it was trying to call. Perhaps because `strace -e open korganizer` is probably not the correct option to use.
    No. KOrganizer doesn't open the designer binary file, it runs it.

Actually it was an educated guess, after looking at the process list.

But "strace -f -e trace=process korganizer" would show it:
    Code:
    [pid  5416] clone(child_stack=0x7fc3d149eef0, flags=CLONE_VM|CLONE_FS|CLONE_FILES|CLONE_SIGHAND|CLONE_THREAD|CLONE_SYSVSEM|CLONE_SETTLS|CLONE_PARENT_SETTID|CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID, parent_tidptr=0x7fc3d149f9d0, tls=0x7fc3d149f700, child_tidptr=0x7fc3d149f9d0) = 5422
    [pid  5416] clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0x7fc477bd4ad0) = 5423
    Process 5422 attached
    Process 5423 attached
    [pid  5423] execve("/usr/bin/designer", ["/usr/bin/designer"], [/* 101 vars */]) = 0
    (that's the KDE4 version, but it should be similar I suppose)

Default Re: AW: Korganizer: "Qt Designer could not be found."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    If you switch, it's not guaranteed you can switch back (upgrades are supported, downgrades not).
    In the worst case, wiping out the Akonadi database should work and shouldn't cause dataloss either (as it's just a cache), but there might be some data in there that hasn't been synchronized yet.
    I discovered that KOrganizer5 was not syncing with my original "std.ics" file from KOrganizer4 even though Settings had that set for the Calendar location. Nor, did it create a new data file. It stored all changes in the Akonadi database. Even after restarting the Akonadi server, the data was not synced.

I removed the Akonadi database and restarted it to try forcing a re-sync. I lost my data. So apparently, in practice, it is not just a cache even though it is intended to be.

So I went back to KOrganizer4, and, yes, I was able to also revert to Akonadi4.

I think Akonadi-cache enabled KDE applications rely too heavily on the cache. For example, when I reverted to Basket4, all my data was there until after a reboot. Then, instead of using the data that already existed in "~/.kde4/share/apps/basket", it rebuild and overwrote that data structure with the default installation data. I assume this was because it did not find the data in the cache. It seems to me it should have given priority to the data files as opposed to the cache; or at least used the existing data files as a fallback.

It's no matter now though. I was able to restore my data files, and KOrganizer4 works and can find Qt Designer with libqt4-devel installed.

Lee
    P.S. Thanks for the tip on 'strace'.

I removed the Akonadi database and restarted it to try forcing a re-sync. I lost my data. So apparently, in practice, it is not just a cache even though it is intended to be.
    It is *just* a cache, but a writable one.
    Changes go to that cache first, and are then eventually synchronized with the actual storage.
    If something goes wrong with the synchronization, the data may only be in the cache though, and there might also be other reasons (i.e. bugs) for data not being synchronized at all.

Some improvements/fixes have been made recently to Akonadi5 in that area though, some critical bugs that may cause dataloss when loosing the database/cache (that are present in Akonadi4 already AFAIK) will be in 16.04.

I think Akonadi-cache enabled KDE applications rely too heavily on the cache. For example, when I reverted to Basket4, all my data was there until after a reboot. Then, instead of using the data that already existed in "~/.kde4/share/apps/basket", it rebuild and overwrote that data structure with the default installation data. I assume this was because it did not find the data in the cache. It seems to me it should have given priority to the data files as opposed to the cache; or at least used the existing data files as a fallback.
    basket doesn't use Akonadi (or its cache/database) at all.

It's no matter now though. I was able to restore my data files, and KOrganizer4 works and can find Qt Designer with libqt4-devel installed.
    Actually I think meanwhile it doesn't matter which designer version you use. KOrganizer4 should work just as well with the Qt5 version, and KOrganizer5 with the Qt4 version.