Thread: GNOME 3.20 upgrade: one package not installed due to stale file handles

Default GNOME 3.20 upgrade: one package not installed due to stale file handles

Hi openSUSErs,

I just started trying out OpenSUSE this month, after a couple of years on Mint and, for the past few months, Debian testing with Gnome 3.18. Alongside Debian I am currently dual-booting Tumbleweed with Gnome on an old Dell Vostro 200 with Core2 Duo 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM, and a Radeon 6450 GPU.

Anxious to try out Gnome 3.20, I ran "zypper refresh" and then "zypper up" to update this morning. The first time I attempted the update, the system got hung up after encountering the error below--it was package 8 or 9 out of more than 400. (I had an instance of Firefox open with several tabs, but I'm not sure if this affected anything.) After rebooting, I disabled extensions and made sure I had no other programs running and then did "zypper up" again. This time the update went smoothly, except for the same error, which resulted in one failed (but seemingly not essential) package update. When presented with the error I chose to "i" ignore and all the other packages updated without any problems.

Installation of gnome-themes-accessibility-3.20-1.1.noarch failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/32x32/actions/media-eject.png: cpio: rename
    error: gnome-themes-accessibility-3.20-1.1.noarch: install failed
    error: gnome-themes-accessibility-3.18.0-1.1.noarch: erase skipped
    For the time being, I have rebooted my system, logged into Gnome 3.20, and everything appears to be running just fine. I'm tempted to continue ignoring the error, but I don't want to run into any dependency issues further down the road.

After some googling about "cpio: rename error" I discovered that I'm dealing with a "stale file handle". The problem seems to be limited to /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/32x32/actions/ and none of the other sizes of the HighContrast "actions" icons seem to be affected. The output of "ls -i" for the offending directory /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/32x32/actions/ reveals some missing inodes. I couldn't seem to copy and paste without the alignment getting messed up, so here is a screenshot http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...t%20inodes.png

I don't use High Contrast icons at all, so my first thought was just to delete them. Unfortunately, neither "sudo rm -f" nor "sudo rm -rf" were able to remove the offending files, nor was I able to delete the folder itself. Actually, doing "sudo rm -rf <folder>" deleted all the folder contents, except for those with a stale file handle. Also, Nautilus will not even display any of the directory's contents due to the stale file handles.

Being new to OpenSUSE, this is also my first experience using btrfs on my root partition, so perhaps there are some btrfs-related tools that I should be looking at...? Likewise, I thought about restoring to an earlier system snapshot to see if the file handles show up correctly prior to the major upgrade. Again, the system seems to be running fine, but I want to avoid future issues and would like to learn how to fix or delete the problematic files. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.

Regards,
    pettis

Blog Entries

Default Re: GNOME 3.20 upgrade: one package not installed due to stale file handles

I've just finished updating. I have not yet rebooted.

That package installed without any problems.

Since it is an accessibility theme, there's a good chance that you aren't using it anyway. But you could try to manually update just that one package.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Default Re: GNOME 3.20 upgrade: one package not installed due to stale file handles

could be a bad connection or a bad mirror, wait a bit and re try the update, or get that file and install it manually
    http://download.opensuse.org/tumblew...1.1.noarch.rpm
    the above is a meta link this is a real mirror
    http://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/linux/distribu...1.1.noarch.rpm
    after you download it just run
    Code:
    zypper in gnome-themes-accessibility-3.20-1.1.noarch.rpm
    or don't even download it just point zypper at it
    Code:
    zypper in ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/linux/distributions/opensuse/tumbleweed/repo/oss/suse/noarch/gnome-themes-accessibility-3.20-1.1.noarch.rpm

Thank you both for your suggestions, and I apologize for the long delay in my own response.

I gave the manual install a shot but got the same error. I think I'm just going to have to figure out how to deal with these stale file handles. Maybe the fastest option is to roll back to an early post-installation snapshot. Didn't make many changes after the install, so it should be too big of a deal.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I think it might not be an update issue but a local file issue
    see the info on the problematic file
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/32x32/actions/media-eject.png
    then if needed change it's permissions using chmod