Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot loader setup for two drive systems, power switches

Default Re: Boot loader setup for two drive systems, power switches

OK, back to my original problem. How do I install and/or fix suse to work with this. So, it boots to linux no matter the switch setup.

Install the boot loader, when both switches are on? So, the boot loader is on SATA 1 and SATA 2 drives?

If only linux (SATA 2) is on, it reads grub off SATA 2. If both switches are on, it reads GRUB off SATA 1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    OK, back to my original problem. How do I install and/or fix suse to work with this. So, it boots to linux no matter the switch setup.

Install the boot loader, when both switches are on? So, the boot loader is on SATA 1 and SATA 2 drives?

If only linux (SATA 2) is on, it reads grub off SATA 2. If both switches are on, it reads GRUB off SATA 1.
    Hi
    Have two grub eg /boot partitions on each drive. The way I do it with a RAID setup is to use dd to keep the non active one up to date. So you only need to run the install on one drive, then use dd and tweak it to work with the second drive.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

How do do that? Turn both switches on boot to linux. Use yast-boot loader to restore the boot loader. That should get it to boot from SATA 1. Is it installed on SATA 2?

Do I turn on each switch on SATA 1 and/or SATA 2? I know how to install the boot loader for linux. How do I get the boot loader on both drives? Install grub on a windows only drive. ??

SATA 1 and 2 on: boots from SATA 1
    Boot loader on SATA 1

SATA 1 on: boots from SATA 1

SATA 2: boots from SATA 2
    Boot loader on SATA 2

RAID? Raid is used for duplicating drives for backups.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    How do do that? Turn both switches on boot to linux. Use yast-boot loader to restore the boot loader. That should get it to boot from SATA 1. Is it installed on SATA 2?

Do I turn on each switch on SATA 1 and/or SATA 2? I know how to install the boot loader for linux. How do I get the boot loader on both drives? Install grub on a windows only drive. ??

SATA 1 and 2 on: boots from SATA 1
    Boot loader on SATA 1

SATA 1 on: boots from SATA 1

SATA 2: boots from SATA 2
    Boot loader on SATA 2

RAID? Raid is used for duplicating drives for backups.
    Hi
    You would need a partition on each drive of both the same size eg 500MB set to boot and formatted to say ext3 or ext4.

You only need to use dd to copy the existing data from the partition to the new one, no need to install. You would need to add a chainloder entry for windows (assuming it's installed on sda mbr?) and set the bootflag to on for both devices.

My RAID reference was how I use in RAID setup, btw RAID is NOT a substitute for a backup

Perhaps if you fire up linux with both drives on and show the output from;
    Code:
    fdisk -l

Blog Entries

Hi
    Speaking of bootflags, wonder if that is the issue, not being set on the windows drive... the fdisk -l should clarify.

I need to clarify this setup. I'll answer the fdisk question next message.

SATA 1: Installed mswin and separate partition NTFS
    SATA 2: opensuse uses full drive, I'll add a backup partition later.

SATA 1 on
    SATA 2 off

Boots straight to mswin (Windows 10)

SATA 1 off
    SATA 2 on

Boots to linux

SATA 1 on
    SATA 2 on

Boots to windows. BIOS will default to SATA 1. Changing UEFI boot settinsg to boot from SATA 2, stays until you change switches. So, have to UEFI boot menu every time.

FYI, hopefully I will have to time and access tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Ahh, UEFI that changes the logic somewhat...

So you have two efi partitions on each disk.

If the respective efi entries refer to the opposite disk, plus I'm guessing the opensuse directory doesn't exist on the windows disk when you boot it will go direct to windows.

Can you boot to openSUSE with both drives on and post the output from;
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    gdisk -l /dev/sda
    gdisk -l /dev/sdb
    Then need to mount both of the efi partition on the windows disk and check contents...

An easy way to solve is boot from a third device that is efi the partition eg SD card or USB device...

FYI, I tried setting the bios setup to UEFI only. There were no drives in the boot menu. ??

Code:
    fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x4c334934

Device     Boot     Start        End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *         2048  840017919 840015872 400.6G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2       840017920 1260922879 420904960 200.7G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 931.5 GiB, 1000203804160 bytes, 1953523055 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x128e423c

Device     Boot    Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1           2048    4208639    4206592     2G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb2  *     4208640   88100863   83892224    40G 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb3       88100864 1953521663 1865420800 889.5G 83 Linux
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    Fatal: Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables.
    Try 'modprobe efivars' as root.
    modprobe efivars

Code:
    gdisk -l /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Partition table scan:
      MBR: MBR only
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
      GPT: present                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?                                                                                                                                                                                           
     1 - MBR                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
     2 - GPT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
     3 - Create blank GPT                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Your answer: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Disk /dev/sda: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    Disk identifier (GUID): 3E54D2F5-9D2C-4354-ACBB-82BABF90493F                                                                                                                                                                                 
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134                                                                                                                                                                                  
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries                                                                                                                                                                                         
    Total free space is 692604269 sectors (330.3 GiB)                                                                                                                                                                                            

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name                                                                                                                                                                                
       1            2048       840017919   400.6 GiB   0700  Microsoft basic data                                                                                                                                                                
       2       840017920      1260922879   200.7 GiB   0700  Microsoft basic data                                                                                                                                                                

gdisk -l /dev/sda                                                                                                                                                                                            

Partition table scan:                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
      GPT: present                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?                                                                                                                                                                                           
     1 - MBR                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
     2 - GPT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
     3 - Create blank GPT                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Your answer: 2
    Using GPT and creating fresh protective MBR.
    Disk /dev/sda: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
    Disk identifier (GUID): A1834162-A630-4BDA-9BDE-FDCB06C17B47
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
    Total free space is 1953525101 sectors (931.5 GiB)

Code:
    gdisk -l /dev/sdb

Partition table scan:
      GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
    in memory. 

Disk /dev/sdb: 1953523055 sectors, 931.5 GiB
    Disk identifier (GUID): B5413946-885C-4A94-8FE2-A0FDF4DF3D21
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953523021
    Total free space is 3372 sectors (1.6 MiB)

1            2048         4208639   2.0 GiB     8200  Linux swap
       2         4208640        88100863   40.0 GiB    8300  Linux filesystem
       3        88100864      1953521663   889.5 GiB   8300  Linux filesystem

FYI...

Opensuse dvd update install works. The internet I use switched from DSL to cable. It's offline. I'm going to try to reinstall opensuse from a blank drive. With only SATA 1(LINUX) on. Else, I could reinstall as SATA 1 and SATA 2. I'll see if I get the internet working again.

I have the internet working again. So, what should I do?

Do an update install with SATA 2 only and/or SATA 1&2?

Doing both should give me a grub menu on either one? I can do an upgrade install on SATA 2 only (linux). How do get grub on a windows only drive? I'm looking over messages. I'm still not clear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast