Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) can I automate to always retry?

Default zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) can I automate to always retry?

When I run
    Code:
    zypper ref && zypper up
    I am getting a lot of "connection failed" errors. It happens on more than one computer and I am not sure if it's my Internet connection or something that happens on the Suse server end, but I would like to be able to set a setting that says always retry n number of times. So I don't have to keep hitting "r". Is that possible?

Also, while I'm not sure where the dropped connection problem lies, I don't have any problems updating my Debian boxes (not loosing connections to the Debian repos). Nor am I loosing connections to any other Internet data. I can stream video and keep ssh connections, etc... so I don't think it's a connection issue on my end... and I do have a fast Internet that is usually between 30-50 Mbps. Are others experiencing the "connection failed" errors on a regular basis? It happens almost every time I refresh and update. I also get the errors when trying to install a package.

Default Re: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) can I automate to always retry?

No problems here with updating.

Strange that it would offer an "ignore" option for a connection error.

There is a "--non-interactive" option that uses default answers automatically, but that may not suit your preference. The "--promptids" option outputs a list of zypper's user prompts but does not indicate what the default answers are.

Blog Entries

Default Re: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) can I automate to always retry?

It's definitely your network connection and not your machine itself.

A workaround (with its obvious drawbacks) is to modify your zypper configuration to allow a longer period of time before considering its local cache stale to minimize connecting to servers.

But, the proper approach is to fix your network problems.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tleedavidson View Post
    There is a "--non-interactive" option that uses default answers automatically, but that may not suit your preference. The "--promptids" option outputs a list of zypper's user prompts but does not indicate what the default answers are.
    Good idea... didn't think of that, but it's still giving me the error.

Quote Originally Posted by tleedavidson View Post
    Strange that it would offer an "ignore" option for a connection error.
    Here is the exact error:

Code:
     # zypper –non-interactive ref && zypper –non-interactive up
    Repository 'Wine (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)' is up to date.                                              
    ... (a few update and it isn't always the same one that breaks, but this one is a usual one)
    Download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/tumblew...po/oss/content':
    Error code: Connection failed
    Error message: Failed to connect to download.opensuse.org port 80: No route to host 

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/? shows all options] (a):

Default AW: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) can I automate to always retry?

Error message: Failed to connect to download.opensuse.org port 80: No route to host
    Maybe a Network Problem?
    If:
    Code:
    ping -c 5 google.de
    gives something like this:
    Code:
    PING google.de (74.125.136.94) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from ea-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.136.94): icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=281 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.136.94): icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=280 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.136.94): icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=286 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.136.94): icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=304 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.136.94): icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=245 ms

--- google.de ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 245.298/279.788/304.780/19.324 ms
    (0%packet loss is important) than you have no Network Problem.
    Otherwise as root:
    Code:
    netconfig update -f
    Or try an Mirror for your OSS-Repo:
    http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/op...weed/repo/oss/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajnabi View Post
    Good idea... didn't think of that, but it's still giving me the error.

Here is the exact error:

Code:
     # zypper –non-interactive ref && zypper –non-interactive up
    Repository 'Wine (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)' is up to date.                                              
    ... (a few update and it isn't always the same one that breaks, but this one is a usual one)
    Download (curl) error for 'http://download.opensuse.org/tumblew...po/oss/content':
    Error code: Connection failed

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/? shows all options] (a):
    As you've noticed "non-interactive" only avoids User interaction and won't avoid or fix a more fundamental issue, unable to update because of network connection problems.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    It's definitely your network connection and not your machine itself.
    TSU
    You seem to be correct on that. I took the laptop to another network, as a test, and had no problems.

Default Re: AW: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) can I automate to always retry

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Maybe a Network Problem?
    If:
    Code:
    ping -c 5 google.de
    I think it might be a network problem. But I can't figure it out. Ping looks good.

Code:
    $ ping -c 5 google.de
    PING google.de (74.125.196.94) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from yk-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.196.94): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=63.4 ms
    64 bytes from yk-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.196.94): icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=59.5 ms
    64 bytes from yk-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.196.94): icmp_seq=3 ttl=44 time=74.7 ms
    64 bytes from yk-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.196.94): icmp_seq=4 ttl=44 time=59.0 ms
    64 bytes from yk-in-f94.1e100.net (74.125.196.94): icmp_seq=5 ttl=44 time=74.0 ms

--- google.de ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4001ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 59.019/66.166/74.795/6.904 ms

Running
    Code:
    netconfig update -f
    didn't help.

Default Re: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) canI automate to always retry?

On 03/25/2016 10:36 AM, tsu2 wrote:
    >
    > It's definitely your network connection and not your machine itself.
    >
    > A workaround (with its obvious drawbacks) is to modify your zypper
    > configuration to allow a longer period of time before considering its
    > local cache stale to minimize connecting to servers.
    >
    > But, the proper approach is to fix your network problems.
    >
    > TSU
    >
    >

And your recommendation for people that have no choice?

I live in an RV park during the winter and the wifi offered here is
    horribly slow and intermittent with numerous disconnects. My only other
    connection goes through my cellular connection which is very expensive.
    I have no other choice so a setting to "auto retry" would be a welcome
    relief.

--
    Ken
    linux since 1994
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

Default Re: zypper ref && zypper up (keeps asking "Abort, retry, ignore) canI automate to always retry?

Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 03/25/2016 10:36 AM, tsu2 wrote:

And your recommendation for people that have no choice?

... a setting to "auto retry" would be a welcome relief.
    That's a good point. I think this is an "unfixable" ISP problem on my end too. The local ISP is notoriously inept, and the service is spotty at best, and unfortunately they are the only game in town, unless I go with satellite.

I am guessing there are plenty of people using OpenSuse who are in similar situations, and "auto retry" would be a nice feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast