Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: notification are applet deleted

  1. #1
    bakidola NNTP User

    Default notification are applet deleted


    hi, after login i got a message that an error occurred to notification
    area applet and there were two options, delete the applet configuration
    and don't delete. i selected "don't delete" and rebooted, hoping the
    error was just for that session, but after rebooting the message
    prompted again and then i clicked on the "delete" button. now this
    applet is missing from the applets list when right clicking to panel and
    then "add to panel...". i reinstalled the gnome-applets package but no
    results.
    any hints how to get this applet back?

    thanks


    --
    bakidola
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bakidola's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18300
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=407711


  2. #2
    bakidola NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted


    still looking for a solution. maybe i should reinstall some other
    packages, not just gnome-applets (not sure if notification area applet
    is included there). the point is that i don't want to reinstall opensuse
    and everything else from scratch


    --
    bakidola
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bakidola's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18300
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=407711


  3. #3
    Malcolm NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    still looking for a solution. maybe i should reinstall some other
    packages, not just gnome-applets (not sure if notification area applet
    is included there). the point is that i don't want to reinstall opensuse
    and everything else from scratch
    Hi
    Have you right-clicked on the panel and then add, scroll down the list
    and add it back (notification area).
    Have you added and application recently in the startup which may be
    causing the failure, if so delete this from the startup.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 1 day 20:15, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.22, 0.16
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


  4. #4
    bakidola NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted


    like i sad in the first post the notification area applet is missing
    when i right to the panel and then select "add to panel". seems like it
    has been deleted.
    yes i have added fusion-icon to startup (which places an icon on the
    notification area when starts). do you think that's what caused the
    error. anyway the problem now is getting back this applet, how do i
    reinstall it, or if it hasn't been removed, how do i get it back on the
    applets list when i right click on the panel and add to panel?

    thanks


    --
    bakidola
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bakidola's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18300
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=407711


  5. #5
    bakidola NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted


    i also had nm-applet (network applet) added on startup, which prompts
    this message "Enter password for default keyring to unlock" when
    connecting to wep networks, anyway the problem now is notification
    applet has gone, so neither nm-applet or fusion icon is showing on the
    taskbar anymore... help


    --
    bakidola
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bakidola's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18300
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=407711


  6. #6
    Malcolm NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    i also had nm-applet (network applet) added on startup, which prompts
    this message "Enter password for default keyring to unlock" when
    connecting to wep networks, anyway the problem now is notification
    applet has gone, so neither nm-applet or fusion icon is showing on the
    taskbar anymore... help
    Hi
    Have you resized or locked the notification area, this can sometimes
    hide them. For the nm-applet, check in the Control
    Center->System->Sessions, there should be an entry for 'Network
    Manager, if not, the following are the settings;

    Code:
    Name: Network Manager
    Command: nm-applet --sm-disable
    Comment: Control your network connections
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 12:19, 1 user, load average: 0.50, 0.15, 0.11
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


  7. #7
    bakidola NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted


    hi malcolmlewis, i think you have misunderstood me sorry for not
    being clear. the notification area applet seems to have been
    deleted/uninstalled, it is no longer listed in the applets list when i
    right click to the panel and click add to panel after the error/crash
    occurred. the error message was something like this:
    "An error has occurred to GNOME notification area applet...
    ...do you want to delete its configuration?"
    there were 2 buttons, "don't delete" and "delete". First i clicked on
    "don't delete" but after rebooting the message prompted again and then i
    clicked on "delete" button.
    now my question is how do i get back or reinstall or restore this
    applet, there must be a way to get it back except reinstalling the whole
    system?

    thank you


    --
    bakidola
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bakidola's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18300
    View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=407711


  8. #8
    Malcolm NNTP User

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    hi malcolmlewis, i think you have misunderstood me sorry for not
    being clear. the notification area applet seems to have been
    deleted/uninstalled, it is no longer listed in the applets list when i
    right click to the panel and click add to panel after the error/crash
    occurred. the error message was something like this:
    "An error has occurred to GNOME notification area applet...
    ...do you want to delete its configuration?"
    there were 2 buttons, "don't delete" and "delete". First i clicked on
    "don't delete" but after rebooting the message prompted again and then i
    clicked on "delete" button.
    now my question is how do i get back or reinstall or restore this
    applet, there must be a way to get it back except reinstalling the whole
    system?

    thank you
    Hi
    Ahh.... re install the gnome-panel it's in there.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 13:27, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.17, 0.11
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •