After help from the forum, specifically some-guy, I can now enable
compiz with compiz-manager - -replace command issue in a terminal after
the startup of my computer. Note that at the startup I get compiz as the
session manager and on the main panel I have four desktop lined up and
the terminal is neither movable nor resizable and therefore pretty
difficult to work with. The compiz-mager - - replace command makes
everything enjoyable. HOWEVER, I have this big problem.

The compiz-manager program works only 60% of the time. In the rest 40%
cases the command makes the computer crash and I have to restart the
computer. Sometimes, specially after a few successful starts with
compiz-manager - - replace, the situation becomes so bad that I must
re-start the computer in failsafe mode and stratx from there. I will
greatly appreciate help about how to overcome this problem. Following
are given to help in resolution of the problem.

Here is the output of compiz-manager replace.

Checking for Xgl: present.

Checking for nVidia: not present.

Checking for Xgl: present.

Enabling Xgl with nVidia drivers...

Enabling Xgl with fglrx ATi drivers...

/usr/bin/compiz: Trying '/usr/$LIB/libIndirectGL.so.1'

* Detected Session: kde

* Searching for installed applications...

* Non-mesa driver on Xgl detected

... no mesa libGL found for preloading, this may not work!

* Using the GTK Interface

A handler is already registered for the path starting with path[0] =
"org"

A handler is already registered for the path starting with path[0] =
"org"

A handler is already registered for the path starting with path[0] =
"org"

A handler is already registered for the path starting with path[0] =
"org"

Also, when the computer starts-up the system monitor shows that compiz
process. After running compiz-manager replace, the system monitor
shows that there are two instances of compiz-manager. This is confirmed
by the following out put of ps ax | grep compiz
~ 1001: ps ax |grep compiz

4882 pts/0 S+ 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/compiz-manager --replace

4893 pts/0 S+ 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/compiz-manager --replace

4894 pts/0 S+ 0:03 /usr/bin/compiz --ignore-desktop-hints
--replace ccp --no-libgl-fallback

5219 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep compiz

~ 1002:

Here are other system details:

My computer system runs under SUSE 10.3 x86_64, the Linux kernel is
Linux opteron 2.6.22.19-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008-10-14 22:17:43 +0200
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux. It uses Kde 3.5.7 "release 72.11". I
have Nvidia GE Force 7600 Gb with 1920x1200 (XUXGA) . The diver was
installed following the instruction given at OpenSUSE 10.3 website and
just before compiz installation the driver was updated so that it has
composite enabled. This was done because it was a must according the
installation instructions on SUSE website. The kde session manager is
set to use compiz and the /etc/sysconfig has Xorg. There is now no
mention of glx in xorg.conf. The etc/sysconfig/displaymanger too has no
mention of xgl excepting that there is
lineDISPLAYMANAGER_XGL_OPTS="-accel xv:buffer"
rather than -accel glx:buffer. The DISPLAYMANAGER is also set to kdm
rather than xgl.

The rpm search shows that I have these compiz and fusion related
packages installed. It has the newer Mesa libs also installed
(Mesa-devel-7.0.1-18
; Mesa-7.0.1-18
; Mesa-32bit-7.0.1-18 as revealed by rpm -qa |grep Mesa).
LIST OF compiz & fusion related installs is as follows:
rpm -qa |grep compiz
compiz-emerald-themes-0.5.2-6
compiz-0.7.6-25.1
compizconfig-settings-manager-0.7.6-2.1
libcompizconfig-0.7.6-2.1
compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.7.6-3.1
compiz-kde-0.7.6-25.1
python-compizconfig-0.7.6-2.1
compiz-emerald-0.7.6-2.1
compiz-gnome-0.7.6-25.1
compiz-manager-0.0.1_git080201-24.1
~ 1005: rpm -qa |grep fusion
compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.7.6-3.1
fusion-icon-0.0.1_080201-3.1


--
sheoshanker
------------------------------------------------------------------------
sheoshanker's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=14166
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=405695