Thread: K3b doesn't recognize cdrom drive

Default K3b doesn't recognize cdrom drive

I have 2 drives: reader and burner. Since new installation of 11.1, K3b doesn't recognise the reader. Any ideas?

Default Re: K3b doesn't recognize cdrom drive

It's an old issue. in YaST-->>User and Group management add yourself to cdrom and disk group.
    Logout and login back.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Thank you! It's ok now.
    Being a newbie, that issue was so old that I didn't know it!

No worries there, the community is here for You But next time i propose search first You'd find it easily
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    It's an old issue. in YaST-->>User and Group management add yourself to cdrom and disk group.
    Logout and login back.
    Here is the relevant bug report. The linked comment contains a patch that will be released via online update shortly.

Adding yourself to the disk group is a workaround but is unsafe as it bypasses security - you should revert that change if you manually apply the patch from the BR or when the online update comes out.

Another way around this problem is to logout, login as root, open K3b (which will then probe the second drive) and then logout as root, log back in as user and see if it remembers the drive (it did for me)

Blog Entries

Indeed you have to be a member of the disk-group. But there's also this: In your advanced systemsettings you find k3bSetup. Run it once and permissions will be set as required.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldaley13 View Post
    Another way around this problem is to logout, login as root, open K3b (which will then probe the second drive) and then logout as root, log back in as user and see if it remembers the drive (it did for me)
    Spoke too soon, it reverts back after a restart.

How do I change permissions for the drive in K3B in 10.3? I open up K3B configuration and don't see a way of doing so.

Thank you..