Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

  1. #1

    Default Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    What's the status on that?

    Thanks.
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  2. #2

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    There is no impending Plasma 5.6 update for Leap 42.1.
    And there is also no pending Qt 5.6 update.

    There only was an update to Plasma 5.5.5 (released today), this only contains Plasma5 and related packages, not Qt5.

    If you are talking about KDE:Frameworks5, then yes, this is built against Qt 5.6 now and requires Qt 5.6 from the KDE:Qt5 repo.
    You can get Qt 5.6 from KDE:Qt5, but should also use KDE:Frameworks5 then, because certain things won't work with 5.6 if built against 5.5.
    In particular the KDE platform plugin that makes Qt5 (and KF5) applications use Plasma5's settings, this might even break completely *all* Qt5 based applications (when run inside Plasma5).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Mar-2016 at 07:29.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    I'll rephrase it. I'm on KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo which will be updated to plasma 5.6 (from 5.5.95) at some point soon. Does that update come with Qt 5.6? (I'm currently on 5.5.1)
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  4. #4

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post
    I'll rephrase it. I'm on KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo which will be updated to plasma 5.6 (from 5.5.95) at some point soon.
    FYI, the KDE:Frameworks5 repo does contain 5.5.95 since two weeks already, and has been updated to Plasma 5.6.0, which has been released today.
    But publishing is not enabled yet, so the repo itself still has 5.5.95. I'd expect the update to 5.6.0 being available for download in the next hours though.

    Does that update come with Qt 5.6? (I'm currently on 5.5.1)
    I already answered that.

    But again: the KDE:Frameworks5 does not contain Qt5, so that update doesn't come with Qt 5.6 either.
    Qt 5.6 is available in the KDE:Qt5 repo now (since a few days) and is *required* by the packages in KDE:Frameworks5.

    So again: if you use KDE:Frameworks5, you also *need* KDE:Qt5 since a few days, and in particular Qt 5.6 from there.

    See also https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ing-for-Qt-5-6
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Mar-2016 at 07:50.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    FYI, the KDE:Frameworks5 repo does contain 5.5.95 since two weeks already, and has been updated to Plasma 5.6.0, which has been released today.
    But publishing is not enabled yet, so the repo itself still has 5.5.95. I'd expect the update to 5.6.0 being available for download in the next hours though.
    Yeah, that's what it says in KInfocentre (5.5.95) and I knew about the plasma 5.6 release today, but it made me wonder about Qt 5.6, having seen it was officially released a week or so ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    But again: the KDE:Frameworks5 does not contain Qt5, so that update doesn't come with Qt 5.6 either.
    Qt 5.6 is available in the KDE:Qt5 repo now (since a few days) and is *required* by the packages in KDE:Frameworks5.

    So again: if you use KDE:Frameworks5, you also *need* KDE:Qt5 since a few days, and in particular Qt 5.6 from there.
    I didn't know about that repo. Have you got a link for that repo?
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  6. #6

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Qt 5.6 is available in the KDE:Qt5 repo now (since a few days) and is *required* by the packages in KDE:Frameworks5.

    So again: if you use KDE:Frameworks5, you also *need* KDE:Qt5 since a few days, and in particular Qt 5.6 from there.

    See also https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ing-for-Qt-5-6
    Ok read through it. seems clear enough. You use this repo: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...nSUSE_Factory/

    2 questions though:

    I take it you dup --from that when you add the repo?

    And is it better to add the repo before or after the Plasma 5.6 update, or doesn't it matter?
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

  7. #7

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post
    Ok read through it. seems clear enough. You use this repo: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...nSUSE_Factory/
    No, that's for Factory.

    For Leap 42.1, use this:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_42.1/

    I take it you dup --from that when you add the repo?
    Yes, that's recommended, to make sure all Qt5 packages come from the repo.
    Although I actually think it is not really necessary in this case, but I'm not sure.

    And is it better to add the repo before or after the Plasma 5.6 update, or doesn't it matter?
    You need to add it first, otherwise you won't be able to install the Plasma update because of missing dependencies, i.e. Qt5.6.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Does the impending Plasma 5.6 update come with Qt 5.6?

    Definitely needed a dup to make it happen here.

    Had a problem shutting down afterwards but it booted back up fine and everything looks ok. Feels a lot snappier all round. Will have a play later. Thanks.
    .
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •