Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok to remove pre-installed applications?

Default Ok to remove pre-installed applications?

There's a whole bunch of stuff I don't use that came bundled with Leap. Is it safe to remove them? KMail, KTorrent, KOrganizer, Kontact basically anything that starts with a K

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ok to remove pre-installed applications?

Quote Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
    There's a whole bunch of stuff I don't use that came bundled with Leap. Is it safe to remove them? KMail, KTorrent, KOrganizer, Kontact basically anything that starts with a K
    They're part of KDE's Plasma Desktop. Most things starting with "K" are. So, this makes me wonder why Plasma5 is your desktop of choice?
    FIrst, these packages being installed won't hurt your system. Uninstalling them may break the overall integrated aspects of KDE. I don't use a whole bunch of the programs either, but just leave them where they are. And sometimes I need something to find out it's already there and nicely "talks" to the rest of the desktop .
    Second, it's up to you. Your installed system is yours, you can make it as minimal as you want. You'll run into dependency matters when uinstalling, but that's a good bit of learning how package management works, so no lost time.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

I've removed plenty of "default apps" over the years without a problem...

The only minor gothcha is that you can only remove them after install.
    There is no benefit to specifying that those apps won't be included during the initial install, if you do so and watch your install you'll see the apps installed and then removed so there's no time saved and less disk space used. I've speculated(unverified) that this likely is because a pre-loaded image of the desktop is being loaded (a big time saving approach) which forces all default apps.

Depending on what is left after you remove apps, you might also consider an alternative approach to removing apps... start with a Desktop with fewer default installed apps. Your choices:

Minimal X - This is the barest of Desktops, it's simply a window manager and the only installed app is a console. Add apps to taste. Build or install your own automation.

LXDE - On openSUSE, the LXDE Desktop has a kind of KDE feel without all the KDE helper apps. Under the surface and some specific apps though, LXDE today uses components which are more typical of a Gnome Desktop.

XFCE - If you're looking for a slimmed down Gnome, the openSUSE default install of XFCE has a kind of Gnome feel.

openSUSE supports many more Desktops, but others are typically considered for reasons other than fewer apps installed.

Note that in general, apps you may choose to install generally are reliant on either Gnome or KDE libraries, so if you intend to install a number of apps you should start with something other than MinimalX so that the apps you start with use the same libraries.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    They're part of KDE's Plasma Desktop. Most things starting with "K" are. So, this makes me wonder why Plasma5 is your desktop of choice?
    FIrst, these packages being installed won't hurt your system. Uninstalling them may break the overall integrated aspects of KDE. I don't use a whole bunch of the programs either, but just leave them where they are. And sometimes I need something to find out it's already there and nicely "talks" to the rest of the desktop .
    Second, it's up to you. Your installed system is yours, you can make it as minimal as you want. You'll run into dependency matters when uinstalling, but that's a good bit of learning how package management works, so no lost time.
    There's certainly many aspects to KDE.. configuration of widgets, panels, themes, file associations, etc. that I enjoy and don't have anything to do with the apps running on top. I use Thunderbird, qBitTorrent, etc. I mostly just don't want to see all of these unused alternatives that I don't use cluttering my menus, although I suppose I could just delete them from there.

Also, the list of pre-installed apps seems much leaner in Tumbleweed (and even Kubuntu) when compared to Leap, so I don't think they are necessarily required by KDE.. Mainly, I just wondered if they might cause issues with upgrades/patches in the future?

There is a difference if you as system manager do not want these applications to be available to your users, or if you as a user (or any other user) does not like those applications show in your Kmenu. In the last case the user can simply remove the entries of course.
    Henk van Velden

Would it be better to leave the K* apps but remove the others? Amazon Downloader, Skanlite/Acquire Images, Akregator, Choqok, IcedTea, etc.

There's no real problem removing the applications, K or otherwise, but the libraries that are listed with them (in yast) are often shared and needed. I use most of the KDE software available but I don't use Konquerer, for example, so I remove it (and use Rekonq). But when you come to remove the libkonq5 library Kfind and Konsole are affected, both of which I use.

I'd be guided by what Yast tells you. If you see the following I would think long and hard.

✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Quote Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
    Would it be better to leave the K* apps but remove the others? Amazon Downloader, Skanlite/Acquire Images, Akregator, Choqok, IcedTea, etc.
    We can not tell you what "would be better". Better for what or for whom.
    As you see, most of your fellow users here feel no urge to do what you seem eager to do. Thus they have no experience and thus can not tell you about their experience.

As said, when the main reason is that a user wants the unused entries removed from the desktop, (s)he can do so. That belongs to "customising the desktop". No chance to bork the system (or hinder other users), it is al in that user's realm.

When you want to remove some program, like david_banner says, just check it for removal in YaST and see if YaST protests and shows dependancies that will break. Then decide. It is your system.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    We can not tell you what "would be better". Better for what or for whom.
    Come on now - there's certainly got to be some best practices that when followed would lead an openSuse user to have a more positive experience.

I know that I probably COULD nuke the entire /etc folder, but if my goal is to allow my system to continue to operate, that's not exactly a best practice, right?

I basically wanted to know what sort of headaches I might run into, if any, if I started removing these things. Broken file associations, applications that expected another application to be installed (that yast/zipper didn't know about), broken official patches down the road, etc.

Thanks for the input.

If in the process of removing an app your remove some dependency that the system or desktop need you have shot your foot.

Can you remove things? Sure no problem but in the process it can also remove things you may need else where. Yast and zypper are good at warning you but some things may not be obvious. If you ignore warnings then you may walk with a limp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast