Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE - Amarok not playing ogg files

Default KDE - Amarok not playing ogg files

I installed the multimedia package before the : http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

Amarok just stalls when I try to play ogg music files. Need help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE - Amarok not playing ogg files

Try installing ffmpeg on your system.

TSU

just installing that package is not enough you need to do a full vendor change with packman
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_c..._Vendor_change

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    just installing that package is not enough you need to do a full vendor change with packman
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_c..._Vendor_change
    Why?
    AFAIK as long as the application's backend knows where to find the codecs, that's sufficient.

This isn't like that other open (without certain conclusion) about why the vendor change is recommended for VLC (VLC's default backend is gstreamer instead of ffmpeg so a vendor change may address that change, but that's purely my own speculation).

TSU

because you might end-up with mixed versions of gstreamer, and LEAP comes with a crippled version of ffmpeg if you don't dup and only add packman you will end-up using the crippled versions of said codecs, afaik ogg is an open format and it should work without packman so...
    still imo doing a full vendor change to packman is a must for any opensuse user.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    because you might end-up with mixed versions of gstreamer, and LEAP comes with a crippled version of ffmpeg if you don't dup and only add packman you will end-up using the crippled versions of said codecs, afaik ogg is an open format and it should work without packman so...
    still imo doing a full vendor change to packman is a must for any opensuse user.
    Well,
    I heard about that "crippled version of ffmpeg" but upon closer look I suspect that is merely a versioning issue(The packman version is older. There may be changes in a newer version apps may not support yet). I see the different version which may be important which does not completely eliminate the possibility of something else, but in my mind casts some doubt (why would anyone go to the trouble of changing code, and maybe not for the better?).

So,
    There may not be a real reason to dup to Packman so the app (Amarok in this case) should be tried before making the drastic vendor change.

IMO,
    TSU

The Vendor change to Packman is not "drastic". It is recommended practise here for ages for everybody who wants flawless Multimedia. Even if it would switch one of the packages without need (witch I doubt), this recommendation is easy to follow (there are several stickies here to explain how to do it), and works to satisfaction.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    (VLC's default backend is gstreamer instead of ffmpeg so a vendor change may address that change, but that's purely my own speculation).
    That's complete nonsense.

VLC has no backends, and it doesn't use gstreamer at all.
    It does use ffmpeg though.

OTOH, KDE (and Amarok) does have several backends, the default is gstreamer (the other one uses VLC).

And yes, a full switch to Packman is indeed a good idea to rule out having incompatible versions of libraries installed.
    Especially ffmpeg consists of several libraries, and gstreamer too.

Otherwise, as has been said already, Amarok (or gstreamer in general) should be able to play OGG files *without* Packman's additional codecs or the Packman repo at all.
    You should have gstreamer-plugins-base installed though, it is included in the standard distribution, but if you use Packman, you should install the gstreamer packages from there, because it has a higher version (1.6.1 vs. 1.4.5).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 18-Dec-2015 at 13:17.

When I installed the multimedia package, I click all the top options "conflicts page". It asked for vendor change and O said yes.

Due to unrelated crashes, I had do an update install without the repos: main non-oss, update non-oss, main oss, main update oss.

I use VLC media player on windows. I'v had no problems playing any music type. Can VLC play any dvd's?

Is VLC a good alternative to the multimedia package? Will I still need the libdvd repo?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    When I installed the multimedia package, I click all the top options "conflicts page". It asked for vendor change and O said yes.

Due to unrelated crashes, I had do an update install without the repos: main non-oss, update non-oss, main oss, main update oss.

I use VLC media player on windows. I'v had no problems playing any music type. Can VLC play any dvd's?

Is VLC a good alternative to the multimedia package? Will I still need the libdvd repo?

Thanks.
    vlc can play anything but the vlc from the main oss (open source software) repo does not contain pattented codecs which are almost all of them so you need to get vlc and all multimedia related apps from packman, it's easy to do, the thing is just adding packman is not enough you need to replace the restricted oss packages with packman's full ones to do that you need to do a vendor change with packman, befire I give more advice I'd like to see your current reposetories
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    and no the libdvdcss only has 1 package the dvd css descrambler it does not have dvd mpeg2 codecs for that you need packman.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast