Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where has official (PDF) documentation gone?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where has official (PDF) documentation gone?

For those who might come across this post which I consider a personal watershed in that it is the first and generally only detailed criticism I've posted about openSUSE virtualization documentation, technology has evolved slightly and the openSUSE documentation has as well (but not much).

Two years after this post,
    I would suggest the following changes have happened...

The SUSE documentation as adopted and integrated the inaccuracies I pointed out in openSUSE virtualization, so I will not currently recommend any SUSE 12.x documentation for beginners, instead "freezing" my recommendation on SLES 11 SP4 for beginners. Once the User has a well established foundation understanding virtualization, I do encourage the User <then> to explore the SUSE 12 virtualization documentation which contain valuable nuggets of information, some which are not described in other references. Since almost all of the criticisms in post #8 have gone unaddressed, I assume that a silent decision was made that I was and am severely mistaken or that what I consider important is not.

Referencing the above post #8

1.4 Today, Full Emulation for both KVM and Xen Paravirtualization (both describe nearly the same thing) enjoy some hardware assist, but not to the extent that the "other" mode utilizes CPU virtualization extensions. This generally means that there is not nearly the same lagging performance penalty that existed in the past.

5.0 Although openSUSE documentation for Docker and default options to manage Docker have not changed significantly, an SDBocker page has been created with links to some good generic info on the Docker site

https://en.opensuse.org/SDBocker

For those who are brand new to Docker, I still consider the pages I created modifying official docs at the time to use openSUSE tools a good reference. The basic commands and procedures of the time still apply today, but does not include info on important additional tools which were developed later (like Compose) and current areas of extreme interest like Kubernetes (SUSE is developing its own flavor called CAASP).

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Docker_Install
    https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/do...ild-tutorial-1

Updating,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    For those who might come across this post which I consider a personal watershed in that it is the first and generally only detailed criticism I've posted about openSUSE virtualization documentation, technology has evolved slightly and the openSUSE documentation has as well (but not much).

Two years after this post,
    I would suggest the following changes have happened...

The SUSE documentation as adopted and integrated the inaccuracies I pointed out in openSUSE virtualization, so I will not currently recommend any SUSE 12.x documentation for beginners, instead "freezing" my recommendation on SLES 11 SP4 for beginners. Once the User has a well established foundation understanding virtualization, I do encourage the User <then> to explore the SUSE 12 virtualization documentation which contain valuable nuggets of information, some which are not described in other references. Since almost all of the criticisms in post #8 have gone unaddressed, I assume that a silent decision was made that I was and am severely mistaken or that what I consider important is not.
    Was a bug report ever raised for a documentation update request? Don't think the authors are necessarily paying attention here. (I've submitted a couple of such reports in recent times to attract the attention of those who are responsible for maintaining documentation.)
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Was a bug report ever raised for a documentation update request? Don't think the authors are necessarily paying attention here. (I've submitted a couple of such reports in recent times to attract the attention of those who are responsible for maintaining documentation.)
    At the time, documentation requested that comments about the documentation be sent by a special email link, which was where a partial list (IIRC about half of the items in this thread) was sent. There was a short exchange of emails, but no commitments to review or edit the published documentation. IIRC a couple weeks after the last exchange of emails, this thread was posted.

So no, there wasn't an issue submitted through bugzilla but was because by request by the documentation project.

From the first day I have only been interested in correcting these issues and because there hasn't been any resolution either by correcting or by saying that I'm wrong, I can only post when appropriate that <beginners> should not use current virtualization documentation to learn. When the User has a solid foundation, I still advise that there is good information to be found so virtualization documentation should not be ignored altogether.

Also,
    The only reason why I posted this list of issues publicly is because I was challenged in the previous post for not posting details. Until then, I had submitted any list privately.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    At the time, documentation requested that comments about the documentation be sent by a special email link, which was where a partial list (IIRC about half of the items in this thread) was sent. There was a short exchange of emails, but no commitments to review or edit the published documentation. IIRC a couple weeks after the last exchange of emails, this thread was posted.

So no, there wasn't an issue submitted through bugzilla but was because by request by the documentation project.

From the first day I have only been interested in correcting these issues and because there hasn't been any resolution either by correcting or by saying that I'm wrong, I can only post when appropriate that <beginners> should not use current virtualization documentation to learn. When the User has a solid foundation, I still advise that there is good information to be found so virtualization documentation should not be ignored altogether.

TSU
    Hi
    Fork the repo, update and push your changes?
    https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Fork the repo, update and push your changes?
    https://github.com/SUSE/doc-sle
    Maybe.
    At the time I balked at doing the actual work myself because there were too many problems which would have required essentially re-writing the whole thing.
    I figured if people knew there was a problem then either existing SUSE employees would know what to do themselves or would know someone already on payroll to bring in.
    Am still reluctant at volunteering what would amount to full time work since last time I checked the problem had more than doubled when the same problems began appearing in the SLES 12 documentation.

I guess first step will be to find a DocBook editor I'd be comfortable with...
    Then do a new review of content.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12