Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print screen button not working

Default Print screen button not working

Hi,

I did a clean install of Leap on my GF's laptop. HP Notebook. It appears the Print Screen button doesn't invoke a screenshot. The button has a double function (with Fn pressed) as Insert. Insert works, so the button isn't dead.

In the shorcuts window the button is set as Print Screen and you can also re-set it as Print Screen. Yet, it will not make screenshots.

From the command-line I can run gnome-screenshot and it will make screenshots and put them in the ~/Pictures directory.

But this is hard when trying to make a screenshot of full screen apps. I also tried to swap Insert (Fn + Print Scrn) with Print Scrn but then, Insert still works and Print Screen still doesn't.

Does anyone have an idea as for why the Print Scrn button isn't working?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Print screen button not working

No idea why you're experiencing your problem,
    But typically screenshot apps have the ability to specify special keystroke combinations to take snapshots (I don't know about your Gnome app, but that is the case in KDE).

So, it won't solve your problem directly, but should provide a satisfactory solution.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Hi,

I did a clean install of Leap on my GF's laptop. HP Notebook. It appears the Print Screen button doesn't invoke a screenshot. The button has a double function (with Fn pressed) as Insert. Insert works, so the button isn't dead.

In the shorcuts window the button is set as Print Screen and you can also re-set it as Print Screen. Yet, it will not make screenshots.

From the command-line I can run gnome-screenshot and it will make screenshots and put them in the ~/Pictures directory.

But this is hard when trying to make a screenshot of full screen apps. I also tried to swap Insert (Fn + Print Scrn) with Print Scrn but then, Insert still works and Print Screen still doesn't.

Does anyone have an idea as for why the Print Scrn button isn't working?
    I'm having the same problem with my desktop. Print screen button doesn't do anything. Any idea how to fix this? There has to be some printscreen setting = false or something like that in one of the configuration files, but I don't have any idea where to look.

Is this about KDE?

The old ksnapshot has been replaced by a new application named spectacle.
    You might have to reconfigure the keyboard shortcut to run spectacle instead.

See "Configure Desktop"->Shortcuts->Custom Shortcuts.

Your existing shortcut probably still tries to run ksnapshot.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 18-Jan-2016 at 06:23.

To fix it I went to settings -> shortcuts -> custom shortcuts and hit right click, new global shortcut, command. From there I assigned the printscreen button to the ksnapshot command, and it is back and working. Not sure why that was necessary, but it did the job so far.

Quote Originally Posted by golson765 View Post
    To fix it I went to settings -> shortcuts -> custom shortcuts and hit right click, new global shortcut, command. From there I assigned the printscreen button to the ksnapshot command, and it is back and working.
    Erm, you shouldn't have ksnapshot installed any more, or do you?

Btw, there should be an existing one below "Predefined Shortcuts" that runs ksnapshot, do you not have that?
    If you do, you should probably delete it, or change it and delete the new one you created.

Not sure why that was necessary, but it did the job so far.
    Well, another upstream change (as mentioned, ksnapshot got replaced by spectacle) that should "just work" but apparently doesn't on (some at least) existing user's systems.

Broke mine but was easy enough to redo once I'd figured Spectacle had replaced Ksnapshot
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Blog Entries

If this happens to you, here's what you do:
    - Logout
    - Systemsettings - Shortcuts
    - In Custom Screenshots, there now is a new entry called Screenshots, open the tree structure
    - Click "Start Screenshot Tool"
    - Click the "Starter" tab, the hotkey will have no value, click it and hit PrtScr, accept replacing the current command
    - Done
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

The problem exists in Gnome, as could be deducted from my opening post

Assigning the key doesn't work, hitting the key does nothing with the new key assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by golson765 View Post
    To fix it I went to settings -> shortcuts -> custom shortcuts and hit right click, new global shortcut, command. From there I assigned the printscreen button to the ksnapshot command, and it is back and working. Not sure why that was necessary, but it did the job so far.
    Do you have an HP laptop? I could NEVER make this work in a couple of them (oS 13.1 and 13.2).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast