Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    550

    Default Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    I am having some annoying problems with constant restarts and graphics freeze.
    Quite often (1-2 times per day) my Linux becomes unresponsive, the graphics freeze, mouse does not work, keyboard does not work and if sound is playing it loops. If I just wait the computer restarts it self.

    I suspect this also happens when I am not using the computer, because several times when I get back to it I notice it has restarted.

    I hope someone know how I can fix this, because I really don't want to reinstall my computer. Though my last resort is to install a fresh Leap.
    It has been a while since I have made a fresh install. My current Leap was performed with an distribution update.

    I have installed:
    the latest KDE Plasma 5
    the Nvidia binary drivers 361.28

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    Exactly the same thing happens frequently on my new Lenovo U31-70.
    (I wanted a Lenovo as they're supposed to be more Linux-friendly)

    I have tried to use both Leap and Tumbleweed - twice each.
    I have tried with KDE and LXDE (chosen during installation)
    and always new installation - not upgrade

    I have also tried to set up a new user, if there should be a problem
    in my personal configuration/set up

    The only hardware causing problems was the wifi, which I solved
    buying a €10,- USB dongle.

    I have tried to run "top" in a console several times, and haven't been
    able to figure out what's causing the problem.

    Any type of help will be apreciated Thanks!

    Output from command "lspci":

    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev e3)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6164 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 20)


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    I am having some annoying problems with constant restarts and graphics freeze.
    Quite often (1-2 times per day) my Linux becomes unresponsive, the graphics freeze, mouse does not work, keyboard does not work and if sound is playing it loops. If I just wait the computer restarts it self.

    I suspect this also happens when I am not using the computer, because several times when I get back to it I notice it has restarted.

    I hope someone know how I can fix this, because I really don't want to reinstall my computer. Though my last resort is to install a fresh Leap.
    It has been a while since I have made a fresh install. My current Leap was performed with an distribution update.
    Sounds like a graphic card issue, is that a laptop or a desktop, if it's a laptop it's probably an optimus machine and the regular nvidia drivers won't work there you need bumblebee
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    if it's a desktop what kind of cpu do you have all newer intel's and some amd's have build-in graphic cards and those do not like plasma, you'd need to go in the desktop's bios and set the external nvidia card as the preferred one.
    ps how did you install the driver the hard way or the easy way if it's the hard way you might need to recompile the driver.
    the latest KDE Plasma 5
    That's quite vague as there are a few extra obs repo's that house newer plasma 5 versions, any way I would recommend you do an update as there wore a lot of updates recently both the kernel and nvidia drivers wore updated, a lot of kde was updated too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan-Portugal View Post
    Exactly the same thing happens frequently on my new Lenovo U31-70.
    (I wanted a Lenovo as they're supposed to be more Linux-friendly)

    I have tried to use both Leap and Tumbleweed - twice each.
    I have tried with KDE and LXDE (chosen during installation)
    and always new installation - not upgrade

    I have also tried to set up a new user, if there should be a problem
    in my personal configuration/set up

    The only hardware causing problems was the wifi, which I solved
    buying a €10,- USB dongle.

    I have tried to run "top" in a console several times, and haven't been
    able to figure out what's causing the problem.

    Any type of help will be apreciated Thanks!

    Output from command "lspci":

    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev e3)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6164 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 20)

    Looks like you're using an intel integrated graphics, the intel's driver has issues with plasma 5 and some chips I think it will be fiexed in LEAP 42.2 as the intel drivers come with the kernel the only thing I'd suggest is don't use plasma 5 you can install kde4 or use lxqt with openbox as kwin5 does not like lxqt, or use one of the other desktops there are a lot of them like:
    MATE & LXDE are gtk2 light and fast, cinnamon and gnome gtk3 are pretty and heavy gtk3 desktops, LXQT and KDE4 are Qt based and work good with intel graphics.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    Thank you very much :-)

    As I did try various installations and different desktop environments, i started to worry, that it was an error/dysfunction on my laptop.

    Curently I'm running Leap 42.1 with KDE Plasma.

    I will try to install Tumbleweed again (it's always a more recent kernel) using the LXDE environment, which I have used a lot.
    I think, that the last time I installed it with both KDE and LXDE, and that could be the reason why it blocks.

    I will come back, when the "new" installation is done

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan-Portugal View Post
    Thank you very much :-)

    As I did try various installations and different desktop environments, i started to worry, that it was an error/dysfunction on my laptop.

    Curently I'm running Leap 42.1 with KDE Plasma.

    I will try to install Tumbleweed again (it's always a more recent kernel) using the LXDE environment, which I have used a lot.
    I think, that the last time I installed it with both KDE and LXDE, and that could be the reason why it blocks.

    I will come back, when the "new" installation is done

    Thanks again!
    I was googling to find the page where I read about the intel bug in plasma 5 but I found this fix
    you need to edit or create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    so do
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    paste this and save it
    Code:
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    EndSection
    note this is a for intel on-board graphic adapters

    reference
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paris Van Java
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    I also had this problem. In my opinion the new kernel is the culprit here. Why ? Because ever since I used the older kernel this problem gone.

    You may want to try the older kernel, and see whether the problem persist.

    FYI, these freeze, unresponsive behaviour of the computer costed me my HDD.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    I'm having the same problem, also on a PC with a new Intel chipset (H170) and leap. Sometimes the PC freezes a couple of minutes after booting, sometimes it takes a bit longer, like 15 or 20 minutes. After reading a thread in the opensuse mailing list, I decided to try the 4.5 kernel from http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...able/standard/
    After installing that and rebooting the PC ran stable for 1,5 hours before I turned if off myself... It's too early for a definite conclusion but it's looking good!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,748

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    For the new skylake chips you must use 4.4 or higher. There is a reason MS will stop support on Win7 machines early.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    For the new skylake chips you must use 4.4 or higher. There is a reason MS will stop support on Win7 machines early.
    Will SUSE provide a standard fix on Leap for this? You now have to either use Tumbleweed or Leap with a non standard kernel for this...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •