Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

Default Re: Graphics freeze, computer unresponsive, restarts

Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    I am not using the Intel driver, not am I using Bumblebee.

I have upgraded the driver when a new version of it was released. It still persisted.
    I don't get it I thought you said you had an optimus rig, you can't not use the intel driver, if you have an optimus rig use uxa acceleration under plasma 5, it's not needed for plasma 4 or gnome or other display managers (you can use openbox with kde5 you don't need kwin5)

if you are on a desktop with no internal graphic card completely remove and then reinstall the nvidia driver.

if you have the new skylake intel cpu's install the 4.5 kernel including the 4.5 kernel-devel files, boot in that kernel, remove the old 4.1 kernel then reinstall nvidia, the nvidia driver should build against the new kernel sources and work fine, the 4.5 is not available in the oss or update repo's it's in the hardware:nvdimm repo
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/hardware:/nvdimm/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
    only install the 4.5 for skylake cpu's as it's not officially supported and might break something else, if you want to use 4.5 on a supported system install Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by thunderel05 View Post
    Did the 4.5 kernel solve the problem ?? Because I am getting frustated right now, even the recent kernel update didn't solve this problem. And the kernel that worked well (the one before the last 2 kernel update - v. 4.11 if I have not mistaken) had just been erased.
    Yes, I had no more freezes after installing the 4.5 kernel.

Those with AMD, Intel or NVidia gfxchips older than Intel Skylake may wish to try uninstalling the xf86-video-[ati,intel,nouveau] driver for their gfxchip. Xorg will automatically use the built-into-Xorg modeset driver for supported gfxchips, the earliest of which are at least 11 years old. Just to test as an alternative to uninstalling, use of the modeset driver can be configured via xorg.conf*. If using TW, a very new way to configure preferred use of the modeset driver is via the file /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids containing an 8 digit string comprised of the gfxcard's vendor ID and device ID. Same approach can be used for the traditional drivers by naming that file with the desired driver's name instead of modesetting.ids.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Those with AMD, Intel or NVidia gfxchips older than Intel Skylake may wish to try uninstalling the xf86-video-[ati,intel,nouveau] driver for their gfxchip. Xorg will automatically use the built-into-Xorg modeset driver for supported gfxchips, the earliest of which are at least 11 years old. Just to test as an alternative to uninstalling, use of the modeset driver can be configured via xorg.conf*. If using TW, a very new way to configure preferred use of the modeset driver is via the file /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids containing an 8 digit string comprised of the gfxcard's vendor ID and device ID. Same approach can be used for the traditional drivers by naming that file with the desired driver's name instead of modesetting.ids.
    why?
    uxa acceleration works fine with intel's graphics and plasma 5, and the propitiatory nvidia driver has no issues, only skylake users need an extra tweak with the updated kernel, or don't use kwin5 under plasma 5 use openbox, if you install openbox you'll get an extra desktop that you can test without messing with your plasma, basically if you have video driver issues with plasma 5 you can get most of kde5 with openbox and not worry about crashes, if you want more aye candy then openbox provides use compiz.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you first remove then reinstall? There have been some packaging problem there though mostly on 13.1 and 13.2 and you had to uninstall first
    I shall try that.

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I don't get it I thought you said you had an optimus rig, you can't not use the intel driver, if you have an optimus rig use uxa acceleration under plasma 5, it's not needed for plasma 4 or gnome or other display managers (you can use openbox with kde5 you don't need kwin5)

if you are on a desktop with no internal graphic card completely remove and then reinstall the nvidia driver.
    I have never said I am using an optimus rig. As I wrote earlier, I am running on a Core 2 Duo with GTX 650 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by wvv View Post
    I will try that kernel as last resort. Would need to upgrade from Leap to Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    I shall try that.

I have never said I am using an optimus rig. As I wrote earlier, I am running on a Core 2 Duo with GTX 650 Ti.

I will try that kernel as last resort. Would need to upgrade from Leap to Tumbleweed.
    so you are using the G04 driver, there is a bug with that driver
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=972035
    apparently the driver thinks some non-optimus are optimus systems and changes some preferences, the fix is to manually edit
    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia-gfxG04.conf
    uncomment (remove #) the lines
    Code:
    #/usr/X11R6/lib64
    #/usr/X11R6/lib
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...36#post2752236

installing the 4.5 kernel has no effect for you, another option is to install the G03 driver as I think it supports your card too

Quote Originally Posted by wvv View Post

Thanks bro,
    My Computer has been running for a few days using 4.5 kernal, and no more problem.

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    so you are using the G04 driver, there is a bug with that driver
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=972035
    apparently the driver thinks some non-optimus are optimus systems and changes some preferences, the fix is to manually edit
    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia-gfxG04.conf
    uncomment (remove #) the lines
    Code:
    #/usr/X11R6/lib64
    #/usr/X11R6/lib
    Those lines where already uncommented.

I wonder if this could have been fixed in the latest NVIDIA driver 361.48. Have not had any of system freezes in several days now.

Speak of the devil. It just happened for no apparent reason. I was just surfing the web and listening to music while the system freezed.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast