Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: Kwrite automatic spell checker not highlighting

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default Re: Kwrite automatic spell checker not highlighting

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    hi tannington,

    Selection of font, font style, font size ...
    I think you were addressing your reply to wolfi323 actually... but no matter
    Regards, Paul

    2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191016) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

  2. #22

    Default Re: Kwrite automatic spell checker not highlighting

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Actually it should work, more or less.

    But highlighting of errors in the text did (does?) not work with certain fonts, Liberation Mono in particular:
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_b...?id=941887#c10
    So try with a different font.

    Also, try to switch to a different language, e.g. "English" instead of "English - British" or vice-versa, both in the "global" settings in systemsettings5 and the specific settings in kwrite.
    At least there always was a problem with this in KDE4, e.g. here "German" didn't work but "German (Austria)" did (or the other way round).

    And some fixes to the spell checker ("sonnet") have been done in KDE Frameworks 5.20, maybe this will improve the situation...
    https://www.kde.org/announcements/kde-frameworks-5.20.0.php

    PS: Also note that automatic spell checking is disabled by default in kwrite, but I suppose that's not the problem here (or is it?)...
    Wow, I changed it from the default Oxygen Mono to Courier font with Regular font stye and it works. Thanks a bunch!

    I was looking in all the wrong places and probably never would have found this.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Kwrite automatic spell checker not highlighting

    Quote Originally Posted by LouBryan View Post
    Wow, I changed it from the default Oxygen Mono to Courier font with Regular font stye and it works. Thanks a bunch!

    I was looking in all the wrong places and probably never would have found this.
    Hi, I'm one of the Kate developers, and I'll explain the issue quickly.

    Kate paints the document contents line by line. Usually, fonts should stay within their font metric, i.e., if a font says its height is 18 pixels high, then Kate assumes the font really only paints inside these 18 pixels height.

    However, there are fonts, and sometimes some sizes in fonts, that violate this principle. Therefore, some characters also draw in the domain of the previous line (like for some fonts the umlauts ÄÖÜ etc), or into the next line (typically the underscore _, or other unicode characters).

    At this point, if a line needs to be repainted (e.g. because you changed text), then the contents of this line is first filled with the background color (e.g. white), erasing everything in this line. And exactly here lies the issue: Erasing the line contents then also erases the additions from the previous line or the next line.

    There is no simple fix, that's why this issue is still open. A proper fix requires large changes in Kate's rendering engine, and it's not an easy task.

    There is hope, though - since we are aware of it, and hopefully we'll get around to fix it properly one day... But don't expect too much in the near future...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •