Thread: First time openSUSE user. How to update?

Question First time openSUSE user. How to update?

Hi there,

It's been a while since I used Linux as a desktop operating system. I'm currently a Mac user. I definitely need a different environment for working because for me, OS X is for video editing, watching movies, etc.. So, before I am an Ubuntu user. Now, since I love to use CentOS for my servers, I evaluated OpenSUSE (Leap, latest version) and Fedora (latest version). I really prefer GNOME because it looks like OS X. But OpenSUSE's default environment is KDE which feels like Windows. As for Fedora, it uses GNOME by default which is awesome. Now, I don't know how to update both operating systems. In Ubuntu, it has a built-in software updater. How about for Fedora and OpenSUSE? Also, the new GNOME is a bit confusing. The GNOME that I was familiar with was the version of GNOME in Ubuntu 8-9. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed but I prefer to download it via BitTorrent because HTTP is slow. Although I thought I'll be able to download a current version, apparently they're just snapshots so I think I'd go for Leap. When using CentOS, I just love yum because it is so organized specifically in terms of installation of software and displaying what's happening unlike apt-get. Plus, it is rock solid because of Red Hat. That is why I really wanted to use either Fedora or OpenSUSE. Also, with Parallels 12, it seems that Parallels Tools is not compatible with the latest version of Fedora that is why I decided to use VMware Fusion Pro. So far, everything is good.

I'll be waiting for your reply.

Thanks.

Default Re: First time openSUSE user. How to update?

I would also like to know about automatic updates. It isn't made clear in the documentation.

I have opened YaST and checked under `Repositories`, which has a number of packages(?) with ticks beside them. I assume this means they need to be installed, but there's no confirmation. If I hit `Accept` then YaST just shuts down. When I reopen it, the same packages are sat there with a tick. Did they install? Did they not install? What does the tick mean? Why didn't they install?

Lastly, and most pertinently the OP's question - how do I know that YaST is going to automatically check for required updates, and let me know if there are any?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karlo View Post
    Hi there,

It's been a while since I used Linux as a desktop operating system. I'm currently a Mac user. I definitely need a different environment for working because for me, OS X is for video editing, watching movies, etc.. So, before I am an Ubuntu user. Now, since I love to use CentOS for my servers, I evaluated OpenSUSE (Leap, latest version) and Fedora (latest version). I really prefer GNOME because it looks like OS X. But OpenSUSE's default environment is KDE which feels like Windows. As for Fedora, it uses GNOME by default which is awesome. Now, I don't know how to update both operating systems. In Ubuntu, it has a built-in software updater. How about for Fedora and OpenSUSE? Also, the new GNOME is a bit confusing. The GNOME that I was familiar with was the version of GNOME in Ubuntu 8-9. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed but I prefer to download it via BitTorrent because HTTP is slow. Although I thought I'll be able to download a current version, apparently they're just snapshots so I think I'd go for Leap. When using CentOS, I just love yum because it is so organized specifically in terms of installation of software and displaying what's happening unlike apt-get. Plus, it is rock solid because of Red Hat. That is why I really wanted to use either Fedora or OpenSUSE. Also, with Parallels 12, it seems that Parallels Tools is not compatible with the latest version of Fedora that is why I decided to use VMware Fusion Pro. So far, everything is good.

I'll be waiting for your reply.

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to the Forums.
    Lot of questions and thoughts, not sure to understand everything... let's try.
    Gnome on Leap 42.1 works great, KDE is the default install but Gnome is "officially" supported and is the "default install" for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED), the "commercial" version of SUSE.
    You are likely familiar with Gnome 2, current version is Gnome 3 and looks quite different but I got used to it quickly.
    Should you prefer the Gnome 2 look and feel, install MATE, an alternative desktop modeled after Gnome 2, which is supported as well in Leap.
    There are several ways to update Leap, e.g. a desktop Update applet, Yast2-Software (unique to OpenSUSE), zypper over the command line.
    There are several software repositories to subscribe to, according to your software needs, ask on the Forum if confused ...

Leap is a "stable" release, currently version 42.1; version 42.2 is expected sometime next November.
    Tumbleweed is a true "rolling" release, always with the latest packages, this is why you only see "snapshots"; it is no "beta", can be used for serious work, but if you don't have special needs life is easier with Leap.

That's all for now, feel free to ask in the Forum, the community is very supportive!
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

When you open Yast you can choose several configuration modules.
    Opening "Online Update Configuration" you can configure whether automatic update should be enabled, its frequency (e.g. "weekly" or "daily"), which categories of patches should be automatically installed.
    Opening "Online Update" you manually start update search and installation.
    Opening "Software Management" you start Yast2-Software, which automatically refreshes repositories set to "Automatically Refresh", then you may choose which packages to install, remove, update. To update all packages, in the main menu select > Package > All Packages > Update if newer version available, then "Accept".
    In the "Installation Summary" tab you can see major symbols and their meaning.

Yast2-Software is a graphical interface to zypper, type "man zypper" to see all options available on the command line.

@pwdr : Better start your own thread if you need detailed help with Yast (or anything else BTW).
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

@OrsoBruno: Thanks for that. For interest (if others want to know) I opened YaST, selected the 'Configuration' menu > 'Online Update'. This then needed to download the configuration tool (which was ironic), but then allowed me to set the frequency with which it updated automatically, and what type of packages.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    When you open Yast you can choose several configuration modules.
    Opening "Online Update Configuration" you can configure whether automatic update should be enabled, its frequency (e.g. "weekly" or "daily"), which categories of patches should be automatically installed.
    Opening "Online Update" you manually start update search and installation.
    Opening "Software Management" you start Yast2-Software, which automatically refreshes repositories set to "Automatically Refresh", then you may choose which packages to install, remove, update. To update all packages, in the main menu select > Package > All Packages > Update if newer version available, then "Accept".
    In the "Installation Summary" tab you can see major symbols and their meaning.

Yast2-Software is a graphical interface to zypper, type "man zypper" to see all options available on the command line.

@pwdr : Better start your own thread if you need detailed help with Yast (or anything else BTW).

I really prefer GNOME because it looks like OS X. But OpenSUSE's default environment is KDE which feels like Windows. .
    There are several GUIs available for openSUSE, and they should all be workable. You can install several of then at once, if you want to, and select at log in time which you want to use for that session.

I really prefer GNOME because it looks like OS X.
    That seems like the worst reason to use Gnome, but it is entirely up to you. A choice. It is entirely up to you.

How about for Fedora and OpenSUSE?
    For Suse, the lowest learning curve is probably YAST. It is a GUI-style app, and you can see what is going on, which is always an advantage if you are a bit unsure.

There are some particular situations in which the command-line Zypper is more efficient, but it is probably better to start with Yast, because of the shallower learning curve. Off topic:

I have opened YaST and checked under `Repositories`, which has a number of packages(?) with ticks beside them. I assume this means they need to be installed, but there's no confirmation. If I hit `Accept` then YaST just shuts down.
    A tick means the package is installed, and the colour signifies the status. If you hit accept and you have not selected anything for it to do, it will shut down. IIRC, there is a setting somewhere which changes the default behaviour to 'hang around and wait for the next thing' on the completion a particular task/set of tasks, but I'd have to scurry around for it.

If you want a new package to the list of installed packages (ie, you want it installed), you tick it, and when you tell Yast to action your list of demands, it installs the package for you (assuming a network connection, and all that kind of stuff).

For Yast there are two possibilities. Either software management or online update. Software management is a full feature installer to install and maybe update packages. It shows all available and all installed packages and is not really made for a quick update. Online update is for essential base system updates (ie from the update repo). On the left there is a panel that shows important updates on the right panel it shows all dependent effected package for the item elected on the left. Should leave the right panel alone unless you truly know what you are doing. Select any packages that are not selected on the left you may wish to update. Note not ALL packages are dealt with only ones in the update repo it is the same as zypper patch. To update all packages it is best to use zypper up from the command line as root or just accept packages from the desktop widget that may inform you updates are available. In both cases you get all updates and changes from all repos.

I haven't used gnome in a long time but I do believe there is an update widget that sits on your tray and downloads and installs updates semi-automatically, it will inform you that there are updates available and let you click update it will not do anything without your consent, the kde5 (plasma 5) version of said update applet can be set to check for updates daily weekly or monthly and some repositories (mostly packman) do have daily updates so a weekly choice is your best bet.
    openSUSE does not have a default desktop Gnome is as much a default as KDE is, openSUSE has a lot of Desktop environments to chose from, it's not just plasma 5 (KDE5) or Gnome 3 there are Cinnamon (a Gnome 3 fork), MATE (a Gnome 2 fork), LXDE a popular light gtk2 desktop, LXQT a light Qt5 desktop the future of LXDE, razorqt a light Qt4 desktop, windowmaker, Enlightenment .... and the list goes on and on, you can have multiple desktops and switch between them.
    IMO the only reason SLE12 came with Gnome 3 is because at the time kde4 was dead (unsupported by the kde people) and plasma 5 was not production ready, SLE12.1 will have both gnome and plasma 5 to chose from (probably)