Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cloning an entire SSD Step-by-Step Instructions?

Default Re: Cloning an entire SSD Step-by-Step Instructions?

Recently I had a HDD failure and cloned it in the identical manner as I've shown.

Something I didn't quite expect is that partition UUID has also been cloned? I didn't have to change the /etc/fstab, or mess around in Windows to get the new drive to work identically. Is this typical?

Depends on the software used. The UUID is stored at the front of each partition. If you do a binary copy (clone) of the whole partition the UUID is also copied. If a new partition is created in the process then a new UUID is generated.

I see,
    I used dd and went from 2TB to 2TB HDD

If you are cloning to a previously used SSD, then, because of the flash architecture underneath the hood of an SSD, it is helpful to reset the target SSD, to which you are cloning, to factory defaults, before cloning. This can restore the write speed that had been naturally degrading over time and use due to internal fragmentation (again, under the hood -- you don't see this and can't). The issue is that the internal architecture of an SSD knows nothing of your filesystem; it is operating at a lower level than that. The SSD firmware will not know that you are wiping the SSD, regardless of how you do it (dd, Clonzilla, gparted, whatever).

The following is best done with the device connected directly using SATA and not a USB/SATA adapter, because not all USB/SATA adapter controllers will be transparent to the operation:

Make sure the target SSD's partitions are not mounted.

hdparm -I /dev/sdX

Verify "not frozen"

If " frozen," then try pulling the SATA power cable, quickly re-insert it, and check again.

hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass 1234 /dev/sdX
    hdparm --user-master u --security-erase 1234 /dev/sdX

Setting the password blocks all further system access to the drive until the erase is done. The erase operation will then also remove the password, as it will reset the SSD to factory defaults.

That is a good idea I haven't thought of. I will start doing that when I am upsizing/replacing the SSDs.

At the moment, the majority of what I'm using this for is for replacing a failing HDD with an equal size or larger size HDD. It's been a while since I could afford a larger SSD since I am already at ~512GB for mSATA and NVMe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234